CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another "surging" issue

magley64

My 2001 XX is running kinda funky...

It seems to have plenty of power, but when trying to maintain speed, it seems to be VERY jerky. (if i whack open the throttle she runs like a raped ape, but maintaining speed is jerky)

no FI light

I just replaced the plugs and that seemed to help a little bit, but the issue is still there.

I also just ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it.

it "feels" like a spark problem...but i'm not 100% sure

any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

It seems to have plenty of power, but when trying to maintain speed, it seems to be VERY jerky. (if i whack open the throttle she runs like a raped ape, but maintaining speed is jerky)

no FI light

I just replaced the plugs and that seemed to help a little bit, but the issue is still there.

I have the same problem around 4500k-5500k on the tach. Mine is carbed and I have tried rejetting but was closer to sea level when the worrk was done. The problem has since re-occurred since I moved back to Michigan.

no FI light

Is it the same whether the engine is completely warmed up or not and does it matter what the steady state rpm is?

I would check that no hose is loosened and after that take a compression test.

Is it the same whether the engine is completely warmed up or not and does it matter what the steady state rpm is?

I would check that no hose is loosened and after that take a compression test.

actually seems to be a bit worse as temps go up...

more noticeable at higher rpm's at lower speeds... 1st second gear between 30 and 40 mph but is present regardless of rpm range

I learned something this week that may be revelant here, in short, and without background, too rich.

Had a condition that looked like lean in that the plug would not color. After talking to the builder of the engine, we were way rich and it was washing the plug white.

Everything, was fine other than what sounded like hitting the rev limiter, and shifting, would bring it back to kicking.

I am guessing that is what is going on. Bet it is in plugs, coil, wires, or exhaust, if it is not a leak from the FPR.

I learned something this week that may be revelant here, in short, and without background, too rich.

Had a condition that looked like lean in that the plug would not color. After talking to the builder of the engine, we were way rich and it was washing the plug white.

Everything, was fine other than what sounded like hitting the rev limiter, and shifting, would bring it back to kicking.

I am guessing that is what is going on. Bet it is in plugs, coil, wires, or exhaust, if it is not a leak from the FPR.

Thanks for the info Stan...

FPR SEEMS okay, not noticing any fuel down that vacuum hose anywhere

I pulled plug wire 3, trimmed it back about 1/4 inch and rethreaded it onto the plug cap, seems to have helped a little bit, so i'll try it on the rest of them. (noticed a crack in the rubber on #3)

Ordering some new spark plug caps if I find anything else fishy there...

might have something to do with a worn chain, too...

but there is definitely an engine issue here (there is some missing in neutral, too)

I'm considering taking it up to the local stealer and letting them diagnose it if i don't figure it out soon. Hopefully they can get her done quick and I'll be at 100% for nexxt

UPDATE!

Today I was planning on checking the plug wires AGAIN...

I fired her up and tried to rev it up, completely dead stick... revving like a harley, no guts whatsoever... took a peek at the power commander, no reading at all...WHAT?!?

I tugged on the display, and it sprung to life, throttle was AWESOME, screamed up the dial, no hesitation.

I moved the display again, bike died completely...

I'm spending the rest of the night with my soldering iron and some shrink tube, hopefully when i'm done checking all these connections, my bike will be running like a champ again...

Fingers Crossed!