CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brakes???

googus

OK Guys let me just start I am not a wrencher.

A friend of mine just changed my tire on my bird. When I took off the front wheel I notice(Looking strat at the bike) that the right brake pad is warn to very almostr being shot while all the other pad look 50%better. Looks fishy to me.

Also no after a test drive I notice more noise coming from the rotors, pads and clue.

Little noise

Then when brakes applied then relesed more noise then goes away.

The if I turn the wheel while slow speed a little noise.

When i got back the rotors didn't seem hotter than normal.

Oh the large spacer goes on the right if looking at thre bike straight on? Just checking:)

Thanks

A friend of mine just changed my tire on my bird. When I took off the front wheel I notice(Looking strat at the bike) that the right brake pad is warn to very almostr being shot while all the other pad look 50%better. Looks fishy to me.

Normal, or at least common. Couldn't tell you why, but it's been observed by many and is blamed on the pivoting caliper for the LBS.

As for your noise, I dunno. I'd need to hear it. Is it possible you're just more sensitive to little noises after the service?

Red thaks for the reply I think that I am more intune after wrenching on my bike or how can I say more conected:)

As far as the pivet caliper (sp) as describe can I just go out and buy one brake pad or is it advised to change all?

Again thanks

Greg

The longer front wheel spacer is on your right side as you sit on your bike.

I got my pads from ronayers.com. It's EBC FA261HH and fits front and rear:

http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/pu/parts....mp;startrow=397

OK Just checking to be really sure.

I have the larger front wheel spacer on the right side if you look at the bike straight in front of the bike. It should go on the left??? I drove the bike about 100miles and did not feel any different?? I hope I did not screw things up. If I have to flip it back around I guess It would be a good time to change the pads??? Please confirm.

Greg

I have the larger front wheel spacer on the right side if you look at the bike straight in front of the bike. It should go on the left??? I drove the bike about 100miles and did not feel any different?? I hope I did not screw things up. If I have to flip it back around I guess It would be a good time to change the pads??? Please confirm.

Greg

I just checked my service manual. It looks like the big spacer goes on the left as you look at it from the front.

I would replace both sets of pads up front. Be sure to clean the pin bolt that holds the pads in. Light rub with some steel wool will do.

I usually bleed the brakes and replace the fluid in the reservoir also.

For what it's worth, I hardly use my back brake and my pads wear evenly. So I do think the uneven wear comes from the link brakes.

For parts check with Mike Barth @ University motors in Fargo ND( be sure the tell them your from this board for discount)

FWIW.... My local shop carries the pads.. I bet yours does, too.

If you don't want to wait... Just go spend the $ and buy them.

Greg

That's right. If you sit down in front of bike, look straight to the front wheel, the longer spacer is on the left.

Ok, when you jack up your front wheel now, does it turn freely? Does the wheel center between the fork legs?

OK now call me crazy. I just got done taling the wheel off again and switching the longer Collar(spacer) to the throttle side and no way the none throttle side rotor hits the fork. So i put it back the way i had it and the space between the rotor are dead equal space apart from the fork tubes

I also switch the pad around in the fron since the left one was total worn down and now the front wheel does not spin as freely.

I reset the piston on the master cyclinder on the one that need space. Put the front tire back on. I then turn the wheel and it moved very well. then I grabed the front brake and there was no pressure until i pumped it. Then the front tie would not turn as freely and the front brake wheer spongy at best.

I think I should just break down and buy new pads and re-bleed the untire brake system.

Any thoughts. thanks again.

Greg

OK, You are crazy. :icon_duh: The axle can only go in one way and the longer spacer goes on the side that is closest to the axle-nut, which should be the right side of the bike as determined from the saddle.

My advice would be to find another blackbird owner near you, who has worked on their own brakes, and have them address your front brake situation.

Thanks guys after a clear head and washing my new baby I came to my crazy conclusion!!

It appears that I mounted the front tire on backwards by just looking at the bike after washing her I noticed the rim Mags(spokes) where facing a different direction from front to back and since you can't screw up the back the front has to be re-mounted and then new brakes. Boy what a PITA to save some $$ but I chaulk it up as a lesson

Greg

Thanks guys after a clear head and washing my new baby I came to my crazy conclusion!!

It appears that I mounted the front tire on backwards by just looking at the bike after washing her I noticed the rim Mags(spokes) where facing a different direction from front to back and since you can't screw up the back the front has to be re-mounted and then new brakes. Boy what a PITA to save some $$ but I chaulk it up as a lesson

Greg

:icon_doh: :icon_doh:

Welcome to "Retards Anonymous" where there is always someone to help you stay on the wagon.....I mean motorcycle. :icon_biggrin:

Just ordered two pairs of pads (EBC FA261HH) from Mike at University Motors (866-551-6478).

About $61 shipped (told him I wuz from the Bird forum), even better than White Buffalo Racing!