CBR1100XX.org Forum

WHAT KIND OF PROBLEMS MIGHT I EXPECT

TFT

My bike has not been started in about 10 months. My buddy Doug finally attempted to start it 2 weeks ago (I've been asking him to start it since May) and the battery was dead. He thought the power cord attached to the bike battery was a remote charger location so tried to charge the battery through that. That power cord has a fuse in it. Would that have messed up the fuse? Would it have done anything?

I ordered a new battery, it will be in on Monday. The plugs are only 2 years old. Will I need new plugs? I'm bringing some just in case.

My concern is... I get to Chicago on Friday. I drop the bike off at Schaumburg Honda Friday morning to get new tires mounted. (If it starts) I plan to leave for Lansing on Sunday. I'm not giving myself much time for any problems.

(I think Doug hates my Honda)

My bike has not been started in about 10 months. My buddy Doug finally attempted to start it 2 weeks ago (I've been asking him to start it since May) and the battery was dead. He thought the power cord attached to the bike battery was a remote charger location so tried to charge the battery through that. That power cord has a fuse in it. Would that have messed up the fuse? Would it have done anything?

I ordered a new battery, it will be in on Monday. The plugs are only 2 years old. Will I need new plugs? I'm bringing some just in case.

My concern is... I get to Chicago on Friday. I drop the bike off at Schaumburg Honda Friday morning to get new tires mounted. (If it starts) I plan to leave for Lansing on Sunday. I'm not giving myself much time for any problems.

If he had kept the charging amp below the fuze rating will work fine.

Think the plugs will be fine, but what about the gas? Some fill the tank and dope it, and then run it when they get back. As easy as the fi bikes are to drain I would do that, refill and then start. But I think yours is a carb, so not as easy but I might be wrong.

Can't wait to see ya, owe ya a lot of drinks. :icon_redface:

If you put Stabil in it before leaving it, you're probably fine. If not, you might have a gas problem.

If you try to charge through the power cord, the fuse is probably popped.

If you ordered a new battery, it should still get charged before installing.

I'm thinking that with the new battery, you should be in good shape to start and go.

Tom, all indications say YOU hate your Honda !!! :icon_twisted:

All the abuse you instill on the Bird, you should be ashamed of yourself!

10 months without even a soft spoken kind word said to her, I would be upset

and refuse to start as well. These Bird's were made for ride'n !

I highly recommend that immediately upon arrival you drop your suitcase and

stroke her gently while whispering kind words of encouragement.

Then and only then replace the old dead battery and install a freshly fully charged

one and my money says she will come right to life and transport you happily to

the great Towanda Resort for a weekend of frolicking or something like that.

It's a Bird so she will probably be just fine. The BlackBird is a very faithful companion.

Good luck and safe riding

I'm hoping the polarities of the charger and the power cord wired to the bike were the same. If it was reversed, I'm not sure what that would get you besides a toasted battery, but I wouldn't want it done to my bike.

Hopefully he did just pop the fuse when he hooked it up and the above isn't an issue at all. What was the rating on the fuse, and what amperage was he attempting to charge at?

I highly recommend that immediately upon arrival you drop your suitcase and

stroke her gently while whispering kind words of encouragement.

Uummmhh........................

Why don't you use a nice, soft, microfiber towel instead! :icon_whistle:

Don't forget to put in a half a can of Sea Foam in the tank, too.

The cord that comes with the battery tender has a fuse on it too, so that shouldn't be an issue. Did the plug have a switch on it? I have had batteries go bad even though they sat on a Battery Tender. Maybe just time for a gift for the girl.

Some of the battery tenders do a lousy job keeping an AGM battery topped up. You may also need one that is temperature compensating if it is in a cold garage. You might be able to bring a stone dead battery back to life if you have an Optimate charger.

http://www.optimate3.com/classic/

Here is how it's done:

http://www.optimate3.com/classic/recovery.pdf

Tom:

I don't have much on my plate this weekend...

Did you want me to run down and take a peek at it? PM me the address/contact information.

Tom:

Did you want me to run down and take a peek at it? PM me the address/contact information.

Thanks Rich, but I think I'm ok.

I had ordered a new battery for it and it came in Monday. Doug picked it up the battery Monday afternoon and put it in the bike. He called this afternoon to say it started right up.

I'm going to put new plugs and an air filter in it and change the oil on Saturday.

I also have a new set of Pilot Road 2's for it and will get them mounted Friday morning.

I also have a set of VFR bars that I bought a about 6 months ago to install. WooHoo!!! :icon_biggrin:

Tom:

Thanks Rich, but I think I'm ok.

I had ordered a new battery for it and it came in Monday. Doug picked it up the battery Monday afternoon and put it in the bike. He called this afternoon to say it started right up.

I'm going to put new plugs and an air filter in it and change the oil on Saturday.

I also have a new set of Pilot Road 2's for it and will get them mounted Friday morning.

I also have a set of VFR bars that I bought a about 6 months ago to install. WooHoo!!! :icon_biggrin:

Cool. We riding out together... or what?