CBR1100XX.org Forum

Installing the R1 Regulator Rectifier ( R/R )

TitaniumBird

Yamaha R1 Part number I just installed, fits 99/00 R1, 4JH-81960-01-00

I installed on my 2000 XX

Should also work on 99 at very least, not sure about the other years. I know the OEM honda R/R changed after 00, 01 is supposed to be beefier and have a different mounting position (other side of the bike)

Found this on our site after much digging but searching for stuff around the R/R business is tedious, there is so much, such a problem for the 99/00 bird.

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bikes/...eg_replace.html

I cut the plugs off my OEM R/R, ran the 2 reds together, 2 greens together and soldered to butt connectors. Green is positive, Red is negative and they don't need to be seperate. The black wire is for headlight cancel for starting on the FI birds, doesn't help/hurt to leave it behind, be sure to terminate it.

Three yellows for the stator, soldered butt connectors.

Shrink tubing on all the wires, up close to the connectors.

1 giant wad of black tape and voila! You're happy.

All said and done, she's now making 13.8 volts at 5000 rpm on the battery.

I hope it's over, this is finally done after going through TWO piece of SHIT R/R's from electrosport, don't waste your time and money with them. Not to mention they're a pain in the ass on the phone and I have yet to get my money back, they keep trying to send me more junk R/R's.

I have the 99 with 60k no troubles so far.

Is this something I should do as a preventative? Here in Mt. I could get stuck 300miles from nowhere, and that's just to go get a pizza.

I'll have the bike apart for valve adj. throttle body sync. fork work with head bearing r&r, new sprocket, penske shock, electric cruise and some minor stuff.

There is a Yamaha shop a ways away, or are they available on line?

I posted a few days ago, I've got a 2000 Bird myself, sitting at 37K mileage, battery just died the other day.

Installed a new ST battery and ran through the various tests on the ElectroSport Diagnostic document and Honda manual.

Mine seemed to be well within the various parameters listed on both the document and manual with the exception of the black wire test (close, but questionable results) and also my Fluke meter would not read Ohms high enough for stator output measurements.

I went ahead and ordered a '01 - '03 BB R/R from Service Honda on Monday and found out they're backordered on Tuesday, not sure what the ETA is... I only really ordered it because of all the issues folks have had with these things and not from my test results, which I felt were questionable. My Voltage readings are spot on, although I notice mine jumps to 14.6 volts fairly quickly, say maybe 2K RPM and then holds at that level, I don't have to go to 5K to get anymore than that...

Not entirely sure what to do at this point, I'm not skilled enough to properly solder/crimp connections for a R1 R/R, so I'm hopeful I get some sort of an ETA from Service Honda today...

Thanks for the tip on ElectroSport R/R's, I've been somewhat leary of going outside Honda for something of this nature.

Man, you guys are on it. hehe I've never thought about preventive maint. Well, I guess I do, but I loath admitting something is just due and rush to do it. lol

I can only imagine, in theory anyway, that throwing a new, efficient R/R on might even prolong the life of your stator. Either that or it'll have the opposite affect and everything else will be the weak point and fail. Honestly, I don't know, and... well I'm pretty loaded writing this. LOL

Anyway, I guess it depends on how the machine was treated, mine gets wet a lot and I run the shit out of it on back roads every day. hehe 40K and it's starting to feel a little loose, maybe I'm just itching for a new ride, it is 8 years old after all. I wouldn't want to sell it though, it's been too good, and well, it's just too nice to sell.

Installed a 99 R1 regulator tonight. My voltmeter shows 14.3 vdc about 2200 rpm.

I also replaced the 12ah battery with a 14ah battery. Fits fine. It's about 5/8 of an inch taller.

Did you notice how quickly the regulator gets warm?

I was concerned so, I put an ameter on it.

It shows 6 to 7amps on the negative lead @ idle.

Shows 13 -19 amps @ 6k and you can see the regulator working with the amp guage.

I think the automotive industry pushes the ampacity ratings of wire. AWM wire has

a higher temp rating than say thhn. 105c vs 90c. I guess they get away with it

because it's not a constant load. Still, 19 amps is alot to carry thru a 16ga wire.

ANYONE else ever put an ameter on thier XX? Anyone know what values to expect @ what RPM?

Rather than having to torture someone else....

Found this on our site after much digging but searching for stuff around the R/R business is tedious, there is so much, such a problem for the 99/00 bird.

I hope it's over, this is finally done after going through TWO piece of SHIT R/R's from electrosport, don't waste your time and money with them. Not to mention they're a pain in the ass on the phone and I have yet to get my money back, they keep trying to send me more junk R/R's.

Why doesn't someone move this into the " important & usefull threads section".

IIRC, there's a similar thread already in there... http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=276

Mike

IIRC, there's a similar thread already in there... http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=276

Mike

I saw that thread, someone just needs to open it up and add my post then, there are no part numbers on that thread... Seems to be exceedingly hard to find the part no when I was searching.