CBR1100XX.org Forum

Electrosport Diagnostic Document Question/s

Sondance

Hey Guys,

Picked up my 2000 BB a few weeks ago down in John01XX's 'hood. When I got it, the battery was dead and luckily John had an older spare that he lent me to get the BB back to Orlando. I've put maybe 1000 miles on it since then and this Sunday it wouldn't start while I was at the Cycle Gear in downtown Orlando. Push started it, and rode it back home.

I've installed a Datel Voltmeter onboard to monitor the voltage and over the past weeks the voltage has been in range, i.e.

12.4 - 14.6 across the rpm spec as listed in the manual, so I was surprised when this battery failed. I also keep it on a battery tender while it's in my garage so it's always maintained and prior to riding it, I've gone through most, if not all the electrical connections, cleaned/lubed them and insured nothing was burnt or hosed up already. BB has 37K miles on it.

So, I pick up an ST size battery from Advance and charge it up. I then went through the various steps listed in the Electrosport Diagnostic chart combined with the Honda Service manual to insure my charging system, R/R and Stator were ok and given the miles and what I've read on this site, I figured it was about due...

According to the Honda Manual, all of their checks (16-6 thru 16-11) are within specs.

According to the Electrosport Diagnostic, everything also appears to be within spec, with the following exceptions.

Section B - First test box - the R/R "Black" wire and Battery (+).

Section B - Last Stator test box - The AC Voltage check on the yellow wires. - My Fluke meter will not read more than 20 Ohms so I end up getting the "OL" reading on the gauge and according to the doc it should show 3 equal readings of higher than 50 Ohms.

I'm a bit uncertain as to what, if anything, I should be concerned with given my findings or lack thereof and was hoping maybe someone here could advise... in my mind my Voltage range is within spec and I confirmed the Datel reading with my Fluke meter and they both are the same and within the specified range of the Honda Manual.

The First test and the black wire is producing more Volts than their recommended range, i.e. more than .2 Volts... which their suggestion is to check the entire circuit between the ignition switch and the R/R. So, I went through and cleaned/lubed any connections along the way that I could get to, and they all looked fine, then re tested and got the same readings as before...

To make a long story short, should I be concerned with this and replace/upgrade my R/R with a '01 R/R just to avoid perhaps overcharging my new battery? Or, should I just keep on riding it as is, and see what happens and not be too concerned with this section of the ElectroSport Diag since my Volt findings are within spec, I've got continuity where I should and everything else seems ok? What's your advice?

Also, on the '01 R/R, it appears to mount differently than the '00 according to the Ron Ayers fiche. I'd assume someone here has made this upgrade... did you have to do anything differently to mount the '01?

Sorry for the length of this thread, but I tried to be as detailed as possible. Thanks!

Electrosport Diagnostic Document

Also, on the '01 R/R, it appears to mount differently than the '00 according to the Ron Ayers fiche. I'd assume someone here has made this upgrade... did you have to do anything differently to mount the '01?

It mounts in the same place but you have to make one of the holes just a little bigger (holes in the R-1 are slightly closer together) and use longer bolts. Do a search on here and you will find all the info.