CBR1100XX.org Forum

Any Ideas?

XXTC

I have decided to add spools to the swing arms of both the 929 and the Bird as with the new stands (T-Rex Racing) I just am not comfortable using the rubber sleeves to insure the bike stays put. When I had the 929 hanging, wheel-less, I ened up C-Clamping blocks on the swingarm so I could sleep. Spools are definitely in the future and I have the Riv-nut (NutSerts) on the way and will order the spools tonight. I have the measurements, thanks to this place and the Fireblades forum for the 929. I have my swingarm chromed, and am wondering if anybody knows a good way to drill it so I don't chip the fuck out of the chrome. I know, I should have done this before chroming, but it didn't happen. So, is there a way to drill chrome plated objects and not tear the shit out of the chrome? I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks :icon_biggrin:

BTW - The T-Rex stands are a nice product. I got the ones with the front triple tree adapter and pins for the 929 and the bird. I got the chrome ones and am really happy with them. I would not have a problem leaving the Bird hanging wheel-less in them and the front stand works slick. While they may not be PitBulls, they are a good buy for the average bike owner. They messed up and shipped the pins but not the stands, so it ended up being $171.90 to my door plus the additional $8.00 for the second pin.

I would guess...

using a dremel tool and carefully grinding away the chrome surface with a small stone wheel, prior to drilling the remainder of the metal.

either that or a really sharp drill bit at slightly above the correct speed.

I'd leave the swing-arm alone and get a different stand. I have trailered my Bird with a "Handy" rear-wheel stand underneath, and it didn't move at all. It seems to fit the Bird very well.

Yes, those are the cheap ones. Just for the record, I don't like their front wheel stand.