CBR1100XX.org Forum

Auxilary fuel tank made of PVC?

Justin

I am in the thinking stage of making a new aux fuel system for the XX out of PVC, but before I start, are there any safety issues? Will gas make leaks where the glue melted the PVC together? Basically I want to put a few tubes inside my givi top case, kinda like a stealth fuel tank, use caps on the ends and a tee in the middle with a cap I can use to fill it. Just curious if anyone is aware w/ any flaws with this possible setup?

What about using the small aluminum fuel canisters that hikers/backpackers use to store/carry their stove and lantern fuel in made by MSR. They are made out of aluminum and have an O ring sealed screw in cap. They also come in various sizes, some would be just right for a tail bag. Plus they ARE MADE FOR fuel. Not sure I'd trust PVC with glued on ends, but thats just me :)

I've seen them at Bass Pro and Cabelas but any hiking or camping store should have them.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0004000_350-4-4

Small, yeah, but they would be safer and you can always carry more than one.

I would PM Warchild and ask him.

I think he carried 21 gallons in aux tanks for his Iron Butt adventure.

Older snapper lawn mowers had a 1 gallon square tank. A couple might fit a top box, but at 7lbs per gallon, you are getting a lot of weight up high.

Thanks for the replies... I guess I'll shell out the money and get a proper aux tank made of "metal". I was just curious, because you could make fuel cells really cheap out of PVC, and if its in a case, who cares if it looks pro? But like I said, I decided to get a real tank, and I will rig up a system to mount it over the passenger seat for COG's sake.

What he said...

Now......How much additional fuel are you wanting to carry, and why ?

As for the why... I do a lot of LD riding and simply want to extend my range... I thought a stealth system would be "neat", but coyote-gear.com has some nice tanks for the money, so I will go that route. I just have to make some brackets to suspend it over the passenger seat now.

My gas tank is a blend of carbon fiber and fiberglass. You could make one out of fiberglass pretty easily.

One of our neighboring fire departments used a "bladder" type fuel tank in their river rescue boat. Puyallup Fire in Washington state.

PVC does not play with Gas.

If you want to go custom metal. Just buy some 1/8"-1/4" thick aluminum sheets. Mock up a box design, cut the material, and take it to a welder to fabricate. Not very expensive at all.

I can get about 220 miles to 240 miles per tank. After that I normally need to stop and rest my ass and take a leak, only to get my water into me to prevent dehydration..

What Warchild did was pretty neat, but not really cool in my book. If I am going to ride that many miles I want to see stuff and not do circles like I am on a merry-go-round.