CBR1100XX.org Forum

STAINLESS LINES

kiwimack

I want to upgrade my brake/clutch lines. what is best? spiegler? galfer? goodridge?

where'd ya get them from.

looks like around 500 clams for the whole kit.......................? :icon_twisted:

I want to upgrade my brake/clutch lines. what is best? spiegler? galfer? goodridge?

looks like around 500 clams for the whole kit.......................? :icon_twisted:

I'm ordering mine from HEL UK in a couple weeks. I think it was $577 USD after currency conversion for the complete XX kit. They confirmed that shipping would be next day ARO for me last week. I did not get a shipping quote, but it should not be too bad.

HEL's USA rep is currently down and being replaced.

I got mine from spiegler and was not happy with the quality..within a year most of the chrome was gone from the fittings...my brother just went to an industrial hydraulic company with his 929 hose and they made em for him..dunno about the cost tho...hope that helps ya

Tom,

thanxx for the info.,

I think I'll go with Jaws' he has two sets , Hels and Goodridge for $487 not including postage. The hels is 11 piece and the goodridge is 10 piece.

cheers

mack

I'm ordering mine from HEL UK in a couple weeks. I think it was $577 USD after currency conversion for the complete XX kit. They confirmed that shipping would be next day ARO for me last week. I did not get a shipping quote, but it should not be too bad.

HEL's USA rep is currently down and being replaced.

FYI

okay,

I went with a set goodridge stainless lines with all required fittings, had to get the clutch line seperate. total cost shipped from UK to USA $559.60

it would have been under 500 without the clutch line.

will advise when I get them on, just before NEXXT.

http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/index1.html

Why did you choose Goodridge over HEL?

Thanks for the Jaws link... :icon_thumbsup:

Why did you choose Goodridge over HEL?

Thanks for the Jaws link... :icon_thumbsup:

Just because he had what I wanted in stock, I don't think there's any real difference............... I got the wavy rotors from him for the front and picked up the rear rotor as well so should be a nice package waiting for me to install before nexxt..........................

problem is I am just about farkled out.................... :icon_rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

:icon_rolleyes: Well....I'm waiting on a call back from Goodridge USA motorcycle division. Since I need the extra 1.5" of top lines to accomodate the VFR bars, I'm trying to get them to access the specs from the Goodridge UK branch so they can make my lines. I've lost quite a bit of faith in HEL...they haven't answered my email of two days ago and the USA distributors are pretty shaky....one is pissed and the other seems to be into building custom rat bikes... :icon_rolleyes:

Old USA distributor

New USA distributor

If Goodridge can make the lines for me as a custom kit, I think I'll avoid the HEL family fight.... :icon_snooty: :icon_whistle:

Hmmmmm.... :icon_rolleyes: Didn't matter...Goodridge didn't call me back. Fuck 'em...I went ahead and ordered HEL from the UK folks. I hope I'm not sorry... :icon_whistle:

Hmmmmm.... :icon_rolleyes: Didn't matter...Goodridge didn't call me back. Fuck 'em...I went ahead and ordered HEL from the UK folks. I hope I'm not sorry... :icon_whistle:

okay

so we'll see how they compare the goodridges are waiting at home for me...................................I'll be back in NY sat. :icon_surprised:

I got Northmans used HEL lines, and I am very happy with them. I had to order a bunch of crush washers, or whatever you call them from HEL. It was hard contacting the guy, but he sent them after a while. Yeah, I thought he was pretty flaky too.

I don't think so, but I'm not sure of that. By just casual observation, they look about the same to me.

• 1 month later...

So Mack...what is your review of the Goodridge lines?

I finally tried mine out on Saturday for a 20 mile or so ride. After back surgery, I'm not comfortable on the Bird again yet and couldn't ride very far. Level of pain yesterday told me I shouldn't have rode at all... :icon_rolleyes:

My HEL line review: After seating in the new HH pads with some moderate stops, I decided to see what they would do from real speed. I found out that the HEL lines on the Bird will do something I didn't think possible with the LBS...a wicked stoppie. And a very unstable stoppie at that. I guess when the rear wheel lifts, brake pressure on that caliper stops the wheel immediately. You get NO gyroscopic stabilization from the rear tire freespinning as it would on non-LBS bikes. When the rear comes up it immediately starts to wig-wag. Interesting feeling that. I actually had to make myself do it a second time just to prove it wasn't a "fluke". It stops so damn fast now that it makes me naseous. :icon_barf: I was a bit distracted by the brakes being so different and didn't really notice much change in the clutch actuation. It feels like more linear pull and positive engagement sitting idle though. There was definitely nothing wrong with it.

My 6mm shim review: I added the shim and turned up preload just a tad. Combined with the new MPR 2T's front and rear the bike handles so much differently that I need to re-learn to ride it again. Turn-in seems great and stability seems unchanged up to moderate speeds. I was a little throttle shy being somewhat uncomfortable, but I don't feel even a hint of twitchyness. I may back off the preload again though. Seemed a little harsh.

I'm very happy with the brakes overall. A little pricey, but worth it in the long run. Super stopping power. Down side is that a panic grab will most likely easily lock the tires now. All it takes is two fingers at any speeds up to 5 mph below time travel velocity... :icon_biggrin:

So Mack...what is your review of the Goodridge lines?

I finally tried mine out on Saturday for a 20 mile or so ride. After back surgery, I'm not comfortable on the Bird again yet and couldn't ride very far. Level of pain yesterday told me I shouldn't have rode at all... :icon_rolleyes:

My HEL line review: After seating in the new HH pads with some moderate stops, I decided to see what they would do from real speed. I found out that the HEL lines on the Bird will do something I didn't think possible with the LBS...a wicked stoppie. And a very unstable stoppie at that. I guess when the rear wheel lifts, brake pressure on that caliper stops the wheel immediately. You get NO gyroscopic stabilization from the rear tire freespinning as it would on non-LBS bikes. When the rear comes up it immediately starts to wig-wag. Interesting feeling that. I actually had to make myself do it a second time just to prove it wasn't a "fluke". It stops so damn fast now that it makes me naseous. :icon_barf: I was a bit distracted by the brakes being so different and didn't really notice much change in the clutch actuation. It feels like more linear pull and positive engagement sitting idle though. There was definitely nothing wrong with it.

My 6mm shim review: I added the shim and turned up preload just a tad. Combined with the new MPR 2T's front and rear the bike handles so much differently that I need to re-learn to ride it again. Turn-in seems great and stability seems unchanged up to moderate speeds. I was a little throttle shy being somewhat uncomfortable, but I don't feel even a hint of twitchyness. I may back off the preload again though. Seemed a little harsh.

I'm very happy with the brakes overall. A little pricey, but worth it in the long run. Super stopping power. Down side is that a panic grab will most likely easily lock the tires now. All it takes is two fingers at any speeds up to 5 mph below time travel velocity... :icon_biggrin:

Tom,

Put the goodridges on just before NEXXT. The difference now is it doesn't require so much effort I am a one finger brake and clutch operator so as far as the brakes go there is definetly less effort required does seem to stop a little sooner ,err like.. right fucken now, - the clutch - didn't notice anything new or different. Like you said a little pricey I also am happy with them.

2 cents