CBR1100XX.org Forum

is this a stock R/R from '99?

JuXXtin

My stock one didn't have any fins... but upgrading to a VFR R/R wouldn't make sense either, as that was a bum part on that bike too.

Yeah, I was reading briefly on the VFR too, sound like that got a bum deal at first, then Honda switched to a little better one they claimed.

Thanks Justin! Hmmm, that sounds weird. lol.

Anyone else get fins like this on their '99, or any year for that matter?

From the Bikers Oracle site: Re VFR RR's

Early 800s (98-99)

SH579A-11 Complete rubbish. 70-80% fail rate by 50,000 miles. This RR is no longer available and has been replaced by the SH689DA, a much, much better unit. £65 from me, £100 from DS, £200 from Honda, yes it really is the same part. I've sold about 50-70 of these and so far have a 0% fail rate (longest of mine has been in service about 15,000 miles)

Late 800s (2000-2001)

SH579C-12. Looks the same as SH579A-11 but isn't. Different electronics and the return of the voltage sense wire make for a much more robust unit. Guess at 10-30% fail rate by 50000 miles.

From me for, you've guessed it, £65 or use the VTEC one.

VTEC

SH689A-12. This appears to use the late 800 electronics in the much larger case of the 689. These changes, plus it's new location on the steering head where it gets cooling air, should make it bombproof. I've heard of zero failures do far. Not yet available from me but will be soon.

So your RR is a Shindengen RR (made for Honda) so it should be the stock one :icon_surprised: