CBR1100XX.org Forum

Michelin help, please

rockmeupto125

If you've got a link to a tire test, please toss it up here.

My front tire don't feel right to me, and its got a couple of Tennesee runs on it. It looks okay, but I think I'm wanting a new front tire. I'm trying to differentiate between the Pilot Power, Pilot Sport, and Pilot Power 2CT. There's but $12 difference between the three, so that doesn't help much.

Anybody with a quick explanation/recommendation?

Pilot Sport line is an older desigh, although still sold. It has a heavily scalloped tread pattern and and is built on a different carcass than the others. Michelin normally recommends than for heavier, high horsepower bikes, like the Busa. Its not as sticky as the Power.

Obviously, the Power 2CT is the dual compound Power with stickier rubber on the outer edges.

If you ride hard in the corners, it would be a great choice.

The Power has been around and I think a good tire. I get 5000 miles on a set and replace frt and rear at the same time. I also had one exibit a wierd wear pattern that Michelin warrantied. I got the feeling that it's replacement is heading in the same direction, so I'm trying higher air pressure, although I prefer the handling at the previous lower pressure.

Kinda surprised you didn't throw the Pilot Road and Road 2CT into the mix.

If you can get the Power 2CT for $13.00 more than the std Power, I'd give that a shot.

Pilot Power would be next, then the Pilot Sport.

Hope this helps...Hank

I didn't put the Road or Road2 into the selection because I know that the Power is a better traction tire than the Road, and that's my focus....best traction with reasonable longevity. 2500 for a rear and 5000 for a front is good mileage for me.

I also wondered about the Power Race dual compound, which is only about $4 more.

Thanks for the reply.

Since your focus is traction, I'd go for the Power 2CT.

The Sport is probably between the Road and Power as far as traction goes.

Leave the Power Race for the track.

Hank

Now that that's settled...

My front tire don't feel right to me, and its got a couple of Tennesee runs on it. It looks okay, but I think I'm wanting a new front tire.

Was that a Michelin as well? I just pulled a Pilot Power off my bike that looked fine. Maybe some early signs of cupping, but plenty of tread left and very little flat spotting in the middle- but it felt horrible turning in, kinda unstable once leaned over. I just swapped it out this afternoon, and I'm hoping the tire was the problem. Weird that the PP's seems to go "off" without looking too horrible.

The Power that was replaced under warranty wore to a flat rib, about 1" wide, right in the middle, then dropped off to an inverted section about 1 1/2" wide, and then came back out to its normal rounded profile. I had just spent a week and rode 1500 miles or so of backroads around Asheville NC, followed up by a ride, mostly straight up stuff, to NH and back. I wrote it off to running to little pressure on to heavy a bike while going to fast and drinking to much...maybe not all at the same time, but you get the idea. I was running 36 front and 39 rear. I threw on another set and I only have 1000 miles or so, but I seem to be able to feel the beginning of some wear, right in the same area that wore to an inverted area on the first tire. I just bumped pressures to 40-40 to see if that helps. Damn thing feels a little sketchy turning in too. You guys ever see anything like that?

Hank

Now that that's settled...

My front tire don't feel right to me, and its got a couple of Tennesee runs on it. It looks okay, but I think I'm wanting a new front tire.

Was that a Michelin as well? I just pulled a Pilot Power off my bike that looked fine. Maybe some early signs of cupping, but plenty of tread left and very little flat spotting in the middle- but it felt horrible turning in, kinda unstable once leaned over. I just swapped it out this afternoon, and I'm hoping the tire was the problem. Weird that the PP's seems to go "off" without looking too horrible.

No...its a Diablo.....looks good, feels rounded with no steps, but definately isn't confidence inspiring. Feels like it wants to tuck in unless I have the gas on good.

Are Pilot Road 2CT's worth the extra $50/pr over the regular Pilot Roads? How long do they last in comparison to the regular Roads?

I get 6,000 miles from my Pilot Roads, I can't complain- I suspect don't need the extra 2 CT sticky sides here in the flatlands. Tires get flatspotted here! Any feedback from this season?

I didn't put the Road or Road2 into the selection because I know that the Power is a better traction tire than the Road, and that's my focus....best traction with reasonable longevity. 2500 for a rear and 5000 for a front is good mileage for me.

I also wondered about the Power Race dual compound, which is only about $4 more.

Thanks for the reply.

Well I haven't used a Michelin Sport but from what I have read and been told the PR2 is a much better and STICKIER tyre especially on the edges and the sidewalls are thicker for heavier bikes. :icon_confused:

I have had 2 PR2 rears, the first got a nail at 6500km so got replaced by another and that is around 6000km now and it sticks like shit to a blanket :icon_biggrin:

I have a std PP on the front and am very happy with it, there are a few guys on OzBB that wee using a PP front and have gone to a PR2 front and are very happy with them on the front as the sides are a softer compound than the centres (basically a similar compound centre to the PR but like a PP on the sides) :icon_surprised:

From what I have read the PP2ct's are much softer on the sidewalls than a std PP and may not wear too well on a BB being designed for lighter sportsbikes :icon_confused: