CBR1100XX.org Forum

R/R is toast! 98XX

CALCXX

I've been reading the threads in preparation for the Reg / Rec change. Trying to decide if the R1 or Electrosport would be the best choice?

Wanted to post the observation of Jeff before it died. Jeff said he could see my low beam in his mirror acting "funny" right before the main

30 amp fuse blew. I had a spare 30 ATC and replaced it. Started the bike, let it idle while I put my gear on. High beam worked. Low beam did not.

Less than a 1/4 mile, blew the 30 A fuse again. Jeff rode 25 miles for more 30A fuses ( thanks Jeff ) replaced it again started bike and the R/R was smokin.

Removed the rear cowl and the R / R had a burnt pinhole with an oily trail running down the R/R.

Seventy five miles back to my house. I pulled the connector at the R/R and highgeared it to home on battery alone in the daylight with no headlite.

Thirty-five miles from home, the speedo dropped to zero on the Interstate. All the other gauges continued to work (98XX) untill about 12 miles from home

then, the tach fell to zero. Getting nervous. Geared up in leathers, 95 degrees and I don't want to stop. Pulled in the driveway and rushed to find my keys for the shop

cause I don't want to push. Well, it died. It's over. My beloved XX has brought me home.

Let me know what you think. R1 or Electrosport Reg?

Could I still have an issue with the low beam since the high beam worked

and the low beam did not? I haven't looked in the manual yet. Does the

lighting system use a relay? Is the R/R affected by start-up sequence with

the headlight circutry? Not sure what to look for after the R/R change.

Don't want to toast another.

Thoughts please

Mike, do you still offer an adapter harness if I decide to go the R1 route?

I would like the ability to return to stock R/R in a bind?

Thanks, Cal

R/R over amped your electronics & blew the headlights with too much power.

Better hope it didnt smoke your gauges too.

I have another bike that had an R/R issue & it caused the same problem & melted the headlight wires amongst other wires. Sounds like you really pushed it.

Just go with the Electrosport, it is bolt on & heavy duty & forget about it.

I did not want to cut and splice (I'm a lazy bitch) so I just got the stock reg for now (about 6 months old). I am getting the electrosport before the year is over.

I did not want to cut and splice (I'm a lazy bitch) so I just got the stock reg for now (about 6 months old). I am getting the electrosport before the year is over.

Go for the electro sport it plus in. All you need is longer bolts. Make sure you get the upgraded version.

I have no direct experience, but I had always heard that aftermarket R/R and generator parts were junk... like more junk than the stock Honda parts...

Mike

+1

But I thought because the price difference was so big I would try the electro sport.

It crapped out in a month.

At the same time this was happening to me the used 600F2 we bought my wife also had charging trouble.

We bought from a good dealer who took it in to fix. They put on an electro sport R/R and it also smoked in about 2 weeks.

I have switched both bikes to the R1 R/R and no problems since.

I had Mike (bartonmd) set me up with adapter plugs so I can unplug everything and go back to stock if I ever want.

I have no direct experience, but I had always heard that aftermarket R/R and generator parts were junk... like more junk than the stock Honda parts...

Mike

+1

But I thought because the price difference was so big I would try the electro sport.

At the same time this was happening to me the used 600F2 we bought my wife also had charging trouble.

We bought from a good dealer who took it in to fix. They put on an electro sport R/R and it also smoked in about 2 weeks.

I had Mike (bartonmd) set me up with adapter plugs so I can unplug everything and go back to stock if I ever want.

I used a r1, just moved the pins around in the stock connector. I've heard bad things about the aftermarket R/R too, very happy with the R! unit, and it was cheap about $65 if i remeber right, did it at the end of summer last year and no issues through about 5k miles.

Mike

+1

I used a r1, just moved the pins around in the stock connector. I've heard bad things about the aftermarket R/R too, very happy with the R! unit, and it was cheap about $65 if i remeber right, did it at the end of summer last year and no issues through about 5k miles.

almost forgot, If you contact University Motors in Fargo ND and ask for Mike Barth, tell him your from this board and you get great pricing.

Mike

In the case of electrosport I disagree .... the stuff they make is top notch, and far superior to the crap that Honda put on the XX... electrosport as a great reputation. I have their stator and rr on my bike and the build quality appears great, plus it keeps the volts up near 14 running high beams, heated gear, and other accessories.