CBR1100XX.org Forum

Radiator Guard

gt_mule

I recently changed out my coolant to Evans NPG+. I don't have a lot of miles on my bird, but I noticed how my radiator had some damaged fins. I had read Warchild's radiator guard fab and install, and decided this would be the perfect time to install it.

A little history first, though. I had tried once before to install the guard but realized there were differences between his write up and the 03 I have. Following his recommendation of 16 3/4" of mesh opening turned out to be much too wide. As I was living in a condo and doing the work ninja-style in a communal garage, I scratched that project off the list.

Fast forward to the present. I'm in a house with a garage and all my tools. I measured the radiator and came up with a total width of 15 1/4" for the guard. Knowing this I followed his guide and made one up. After paint and a really easily fabricated mount, I'm good to go. It was really thoughtful of Honda to put a mounting location right at the base of the radiator. It clears the inside of the bodywork by less than 1/4" on each side; a little narrower overall wouldn't hurt.

Thanks to Warchild for the write up. It's here:

http://www.superblackbird.com/RadGuardMod.cfm

guard0.gif

guard1.gif

guard2.gif

guard3.gif

guard4.gif

Finished product:

guard6.gif

guard5.gif

I did the same thing to mine a few years back....not as clean a finished product as yours, but at the time, wearing beer goggles, it was gorgeous.

I was showing mine off one day when Ruhi showed me his. Same basic principle, but he used some other type mesh that really blinged mine out.