CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turbo set-up unique & interesting

CxBXR

If this set-up is plausible it would cut the cost of building a kit in half.

I may go this route in the near future if I can afford it.

One of my only concerns is turbo lag due to it being that far away from the source.

(guy was claiming 220hp @ 6.8psi on his 1000)

gallery_6545_558_17651.jpg

gallery_6545_558_807.jpg

gallery_6545_558_21049.jpg

Discussion starts on the 7th post down the page http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...40&start=40

Notice the massive turbos in the trunk !!!

post-25-1185456224.jpg

Can't see why it wouldn't work. But I'd think it would be quite a bit less efficent then the normal setup. That being said I can't see it mattering much on a DD. I'd be interesting in trying something like it...

There's a company that has been making these for Camaro/Firebird platform for quite a few years now. The old schoolers claim they must have major lag, but the people that I've heard from that actually have them say that there is a little but it's not drastic like the naysayers would have you believe. The upside is that the distance between the turbo and the intake acts like an intercooler without having to buy one, which reduces costs even more.

It should work... IIRC, that's where the turbo was on my dad's Seca 650 turbo... Like Elixxer said, though, it would be a little less effecient and have a little more lag, but would still physically work.

Mike

Yep, you need a scavenging pump... The turbocharged Seca had a seperate scavenging rotor on the oil pump that did the rest of the engine. Being that this bike wasn't designed for a turbo, you will have to add a 12V pump.

Also, the Seca had a check-ball to stop oil from gravity-flowing to the turbo when the engins is off... Below is a TSB from yamaha on the Microfiche for that bike:

If an XJ650 Turbo leaks oil, follow the procedures below to locate the problem. Affected Models - XJ650LJ.

As shown in the following diagrams, the turbocharger unit is lubricated by an oil line which originates at the crankshaft

oil gallery. The oil passes through a check valve and an external line before reaching the turbo unit. Within the turbo

unit, the oil lubricates the floating bearing on the turbine shaft. Then the oil is retrieved through another external oil line

by a scavenging rotor on the oil pump.

The check valve of the crankshaft oil gallery is designed to prevent oil from flowing to the turbo unit when the engine is

shut off. The seals on the turbine shaft look and work much like piston rings, functioning only when the turbo unit is

operating. If the check valve does not close the oil line when the engine stops, oil can flow into the turbo unit and

through the seals.

If oil then moves into the turbine side, the oil will drip out of the muffler drain hole. If oil flows into the compressor side

of the turbo unit, it will be thrown into the surge tank when the machine is restarted; the oil will settle in the bottom of the

surge tank to drip out of the drain valve when the engine is stopped again.

Another possible problem might be with the scavenging line. Since the turbo unit is not designed to hold much oil, the

scavenging system must ensure that the oil is adequately retrieved from the unit. If the return line is restricted, this cannot

be accomplished; the results will be much the same as previously described.

From Page 16 here: www.turbomotorcycles.org/Newsletters/TN44.pdf

Diagrams mentioned are pretty much worthless, but are on that page.

Mike