CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Choices

TJ1137

I can’t stand my Storms on the XX. Going from Z6’s to the Storms made my XX feel like a truck. The Storms wear good but don’t hold the road as well as the Z6’s and that doesn’t bother me what I hate is the way they turn in or the lak of the way they turn in……. can’t stand them and don’t trust them on tight roads. My next set will be the PR-2s or the Sportec M-3's.

I just ordered a Dunlop Roadsmart for the rear to be paired with the Qualifier front that already has 2500 miles on it. I'm going to Colorado in a couple of weeks and I'll post my opinions when I get back. :icon_dance:

Has anybody else tried this tire yet? Or the new Bridgestone BT016?

I have a BT016 on the back of my bike - found it to be really crap when cold... spins up 1st and 2nd with no warning, even after 10 miles of freeway riding. When its hot it sticks great, so its probably fine on the track. Unuseable on the street in my opinion unless you hammer it all the time (which I don't)

My next new set will be another Metzeler Z6 combo. Had great traction, awesome mileage, good feel.

Thanks for the review. Can't say I'm surprised that Bridgstone still doesn't have a tire that will stick good on a high torque bike. However, I did think that the BT-57 tire was better than average for an OEM tire.

I've had great luck with the Avon's I had the Azaro's and got at least 12-15,000Km's out of them but that was mostly highway. I've got a set of storms on the bike now with 10,000Km on them and got a nail in the rear tire but it seems to still have close to 1/2 thread left. Going to replace it.

I am running the new Avon Storm rear. Based on reviews here I was hoping for more mileage, at 4,500 miles I am into the wear bars. I figure between three loaded Givis on board and lots of 90mph riding that no rear worth using is going last... Got set of regular Michelin Pilot Roads to go on next.

I've run Michelin Pilot Roads front and rear (hated 'em grip-wise, but lasted forever), then ran Metz Z6 rear/M1 front for quite a while (nice combo of grip & mileage).

I now run a Bridgestone BT-021 dual-compound rear and Metz M3 front. REALLY nice combo of grip and mileage (I've gotten almost 8K miles from the rear 021 in cold weather, and almost 7K in summer). The rear 021 is silly cheap compared to most major brand tires, and insanely cheap compared to other dual-compouind rears...

Just DON'T put a front BT-021 on the Bird or any other heavier/ST bike - apparently they're not nearly as nice/long-lasting as the rear BT-021...

Shinko 009's incredible mileage, stick OK, very predictable. Want to try the Shinko 005's next - a little more grippy tire. Surprisingly great value for the money.

I was running the 005's last year, they are an OK tyre but the rear only lasted me ~6500km compared to the 2 previous Pilot Roads, the front lasted ~13000km but the steering was slower compared to the previous Pilot Power and they were only ~$70 a set cheaper than the Michi's :icon_surprised:

They weren't as good when cold or in the wet as the PP/PR combo so I have gone for the PPf/PR2r combo now and love them :icon_biggrin: