CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to seat tire beads?

testrider

Hi all,

I just got a Nomar classic and balancer to install my own tires and I have never done it before. How much air pressure do you usually pump up until the beads seat? I would assume that I should never exceed the max tire pressure on the side walls even to seat the beads?

Thanks for any help.

-mike-

PS: I have been using only the Bridgestone BT-57 since I bought my 97 XX in 1999 and got about 10k miles on a set. This time, I like to try Michelin Pilot Roads (90% commute, 10% twisties.) What's a good place to order tires?

Here is what I just got:

99639718.jpg

Southwest moto http://www.swmototires.com/ is highly recommended

I sometimes find it's needed to run the tire pressure up to 60 or 70 psi to get to seat the bead.

That is not uncommon to over inflate to get a bead to seat. Usually by 50 or 60 it is seated though.

Congrats on your new No-Mar stuff. I've had the same gear for a couple of years and love it. Watch the videos a few times to get the hang of it. If you are working hard, there's a good chance you are doing something wrong. (I still do that sometimes. :icon_redface: )

My tire beads usually seat easily. I never have to go higher than 40 or 50 psi.

I bought my last set of Michelin tires here. Sport Bike Track Gear They had the best Michelin prices I could find. The service was great too. Of course, Southwest Moto Tires is another popular place to buy tires.

Congrats on your new No-Mar stuff. I've had the same gear for a couple of years and love it. Watch the videos a few times to get the hang of it. If you are working hard, there's a good chance you are doing something wrong. (I still do that sometimes. :icon_redface: )

My tire beads usually seat easily. I never have to go higher than 40 or 50 psi.

I bought my last set of Michelin tires here. Sport Bike Track Gear They had the best Michelin prices I could find. The service was great too. Of course, Southwest Moto Tires is another popular place to buy tires.

Thank you all, for your help. I appreciate it. Yes, I did watch all the videos on their web site but none of them showed how to seat the beads.

I'm going to order the Michelin Pilot Road as my current tires have probably another 1000 miles before it hits the wear bars.

I got the NoMar Classic Ultimate II and substituted the floor stand with a 2" receiver hitch mount so I won't have to drill holes and bolt it permanently in my garage (just too much junks :-) ). NoMar posts sales on eBay from time to time and I got it thru eBay for free shipping (that was about $100 shipped to CA.)

-mike-

PS: Just check Sportbiketrackgear has the set of Michelin PR for $255 while SW has them for $260.

The side walls max air pressure are 42 psi. There is no danger to run it up to 60-70 psi while seating beads? 60 or 70 psi are way over the stated max, no? Is there a danger of it blowing up?

Also, where do you take your used tires to recycle?

The 42 psi is max operating pressure. You won't hurt the tire by going higher when seating the beads.

Don't forget the soap and water.

Yes, the NoMar tire changer came with a can of tire lube paste and a bottle of tire lube spray...

So I will just keep pumping it up (after removing the valve core) until I hear 2 pops (both sides of the tire)?

Don't forget the soap and water.

Yes, the NoMar tire changer came with a can of tire lube paste and a bottle of tire lube spray...

So I will just keep pumping it up (after removing the valve core) until I hear 2 pops (both sides of the tire)?

Yes, just like that

I have had to reseat the bead after letting a local shop do it and they didn't do it right.. went up to 80 psi I was scared but it finally popped into place..

Wow I wouldn't go that high on PSI, if it doesn't seat at 60PSI or so I put the valve stem back in and fill it up to 50PSI. Then bounce the tire on the floor a few times it usually pops then.

It is not uncommon, nor recommended, to seat beads at twice their rated pressure. The safest method is to use a ton of soapy water and try to not exceed max psi. At the shop we tend to go double the max pressure. :icon_whistle: Hell, i am insured at work, and so are the tires. Besides, who's got time to wait for beads to pop? Sometimes setting the tire out in the sun for a while, makes the rubber more pliable, hence beads easier. The danger isn't only in if the tire will explode, the danger also lies in the fact that the tire can pop over the bead and cause the rim to jump if not secured. Whenever we seat beads, we put the rim in a fixture, or hold the tire vertical. Don't want the tire slapping the ground and driving the rim into your chin.

It is not uncommon, nor recommended, to seat beads at twice their rated pressure. The safest method is to use a ton of soapy water and try to not exceed max psi. At the shop we tend to go double the max pressure. :icon_whistle: Hell, i am insured at work, and so are the tires. Besides, who's got time to wait for beads to pop? Sometimes setting the tire out in the sun for a while, makes the rubber more pliable, hence beads easier. The danger isn't only in if the tire will explode, the danger also lies in the fact that the tire can pop over the bead and cause the rim to jump if not secured. Whenever we seat beads, we put the rim in a fixture, or hold the tire vertical. Don't want the tire slapping the ground and driving the rim into your chin.

Thanks for the advise. I just saw on Michelin's site a paragraph pertaining to the bead seating and it did to not exceed 60 psi on their tires:

6. Remove the valve core from the valve stem. Inflate to 60 psi maximum. Make sure that the beads are seated properly.

Determine if tire is properly seated by observing the guide ribs in relation to the wheel, making sure they are not eccentric. Guide ribs are raised narrow ribs of rubber on the lower tire sidewall