CBR1100XX.org Forum

touring setup suggestions

dasxx03

need suggestions for changes - givi rack and bags make the front end squirley (03 with less than 2k on the clock).

My 97 vfr has adjustable damping on front and rear suspension - what can i do for this ride?

Have you adjusted the suspension sag with you & the bags ?

Sounds like the front end is getting light.

To correct this you can raise the rear or lower the front, however most do not recomend lowering the front, because it changes the geometry of the bike & can cause handling issues.

I have stock shocks front and rear. I really don't have a problem with 3 large cases unless I overload the bike...something to consider, but if you have improved your suspension, I guess the handling might show up sooner rather than later.

No matter what, you still can't push the bike as you would with no cases (or just a top case).

What type of tyres do you have on (the front in particular) and what condition are they?

There are lots of posts on various forums about TB's causing a slight weave particularly under deceleration with no hands at around 90kmh (55mph). I had it with a worn feathered D208 and a Shinko 005 even when new, I suspect it is partly to do with profile of the tyres as well :icon_confused:

Also check the steering head bearings for tension and wear :icon_surprised:

+1 on the rear shock, you might be undersprung for the weight.

+1 on lowering the front. I went 8mm, from the locking ring to the top of the clip on. I haven't tested any farther and you should lower the front "with caution" if at all.

When I first bought Dunlop 208s, I had to air them up to 45 psi to keep them from being squirrely. A few miles on them and it was back down to 32. Just a thought.

Check tire pressure. You may want to go up a few psi over what you ride unloaded; especially at the rear.

Did you add a shim to the rear shock mount? I would do this prior to lowering the front.

Test rides need to be done with packed bags. First, just take what you really need. Don't bring extra spare stuff. I just buy new if I need something. Pack heavy things down low and even on both sides. I even move the tool bag to the bottom of my right case.

A tank bag may help balance the fore/aft weight. I use the tank bag as my overnight bag and in case I get wet I can change. That way I can also rest on the soft clothes.

Check your sag. Your first sag measure has to be done with no load. With a full load (you plus full gear) the bike should not go down more than 2 inches. 1 1/2 is better. Adjust the rear spring by increasing pre-load. Increase rebound dampening as well. The front you have to add shims. I added an oz of 15w fork oil to increase dampening. If you don't have enough adjustment, you need new springs.