CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI light on and won't start *solved*

Bolt

HELP, my bike wont start. i parked the bike earlier today, and now it wont start. FI light stays on and I dont hear any sound from the fuel pump. All fuses cheked, relays checked, power to all fuses, and all relays ok. Any tips?

A couple of weeks ago when I changed the fuel filter in my bike, I tried to fire it up with the tank sideways on low fuel. Pump made no noise and the FI light stayed on.

So what I'm getting to is make sure it has gas in it.

Yes it is in neurtral, fuel tank is full, and kill switch is on. I've marked thath the FI light is stronger when the kill switch is in on position, than in the off position.

Edit: the starter is turning.

I know I have said it a thousand times, but you remember this for a long time, the ground connection to the frame has to be clean and good for everything to work.

I have cleaned all the paint off so I have a good ground to metal.

Under the tank on the shock support.

I took the battery out of the bike over night for charging, didnt cure it self :icon_sad:

I guess the frame is grounded, because i meassured battery voltage between the frame and battery + lead?

Anyone have a picture of the ground connection?

I purshaged the bike three weeks ago, from a dealer 1300km away. Talked to them yesterday and they said i should contact nearest workshop. I am planning deliver the bike to them today, but they are very busy so the waiting time is long. Maybe three weeks.

It really wouldnt be that hard to find out whats wrong with it, Just time consuming going through the wire harness.

What year model is it ? if it is 99'-00' search for "loom fix" basically you remove some of the connections near the rear & solder the wires together. Fairly common issue with those year models. Lots of info in the archives about it. Do a search.

Have you checked the Fault Codes in the ECU? You can find the procedure and the codes in the Service Manual. If you don't have a manual, you can download one here "Manual".

I tryed to check the fault codes. If i did it correct the light only stays on constantly. I found an loose plug in a clear plastic tube behind the ECM and shortet the pins. Then turned on the ignition. I have a feeling that the ECM has said good by?

Does anyone knows how many seconds the fuel pump is on, to pump preassure when the igniton key is turned on? And what gives the stop signal to the fuel pump when the pressure is high enough?

I don't think there is anything that gives a "stop signal". I think it runs for like 2 seconds or so every time you turn on the key, regardless of current pressure.

Yes, there is a "stop signal" it is controlled by the injector's & ECU not pressure or vaccum though. The pump primes itself up initially then stops, & when the engine is started, it turns back on & stays on.

• 4 weeks later...