CBR1100XX.org Forum

Heli's back to stock bars?

Emillard

My bird came with Heli's on it from the preivous owner. While I like the riding position, I think I'm getting a bunch more windblast because of it. I've tried just about every screen...stock, Givi ST, ZG ST, laminar lip+stock, and a DB of some variety. I get tired after 3 or 4 hours because of the wind pusing me back. My hands get tired from holding on (from getting blown back), not from wrist pressure. I'm 6'1 so I'm not extremely tall. I had this same issue on my ZZR1200 and decided that the less comfortable stock clip-ons outweighed the wind buffeting of the heli-bars. I do a fair amount of 80-100mph interstate riding...much to my dismay.

I was just curious if anyone ever tried the Heli's / VFR bars and decided that it just wasn't for them and went back to stock clipons. Since I've never ridden the bird with stock bars on it, I don't really know what I'll be in for.

Thanks for the input.

I went from stock to helis to stock to genmars and back to stock.

I love stock, for the riding position mostly though. I am not an overly aggressive rider, but I know the stock position is best *for me* to perform the best in the twisties. Don't do much highway riding, I have done a couple of 1000 mile and 1 1500 IBA. I had stock clip ons on all but the 1500 and really missed the stockers.

IMO, you will be happy with the stock riding position, especially if you've tried all those shields. I am also 6'1 and ride with an Airblade double bubble. My wrists don't hurt.

If you have longer arms, then it probably won't bother you. I'm 5'10" and have VFR bars on my '98 which has the stock shorter windshield than later versions. I'd NEVER go back to stock bars. My back was always sore from the excessive reach. I get no windblast or none that bothers me at all and I'm always travelling at 80+. But you're taller so maybe you notice it more. My shorter arms love the VFR setup. I'm not sure stock bars will make much of a difference in windblast either.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to put my stockers back on this weekend.

I put the vfr bars on last summer soon after getting my bike. 7000 miles later I realize that I really cant stand the angle of the vfr bars, it hurts my wrist to hold on to the grips and I often hold my hands slightly sidways across the grips staightening out my wrist.

Also I believe the bike was easier to turn with the stock bars. Now that I am used to the bike I find I try to tuck in a bit more and I think I will be comfortabe with the stock clip on's.

I guess I'll find out soon. Otherwise I will have to get some adjustable bars or put some clamps on the tree so I can try some different bends.

JDXX :icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

I keep bouncing back and forth. It seems the wind noise and wind blast are so much less with the stock bars I usually prefer them...my .02.