CBR1100XX.org Forum

Socket size for removing rear wheel

ag90fox

Howdy all,

I want to remove the rear wheel to replace my rear tire but I don't have the right sockets to remove the axle. I looked in the parts manual and it said the nut was 18mm. I tried a 1" socket on both sides and it was two small. Knowing 1"~= 25mm, it doesn't make sense to me that the nut is 18mm as the book says. And I think (maybe) that the axle head takes a different size socket than the nut?!

I need to run to harbor freight and get the right sockets, so if someone can tell me what size sockets it takes to get the rear wheel off, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Oh yeah, any insights into chain alignment would be helpful too! :icon_whistle:

Thanks,

Joe

dumber question: I'm not at home to look in my tool kit, but are there 22 & 27mm wrenches that work well-enough that I won't have to fork out $$ for a set of sockets containing a 22 & 27mm socket?

Thanks!!

dumber question: I'm not at home to look in my tool kit, but are there 22 & 27mm wrenches that work well-enough that I won't have to fork out $$ for a set of sockets containing a 22 & 27mm socket?

I use the wrenches in the toolbox to adjust my chain while on trips. So the answer would be yes.

I use the wrenches in the toolbox to adjust my chain while on trips. So the answer would be yes.

SAE sizes will work as well............ 7/8" for the sprocket side and 1 1/16" for the brake side.