CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sputtering and dying on the freeway?

matthend

This problem has now reared its head 4 or 5 times since I replaced my petcock diaphragm (about a month) If I am on the closed private road/freeway and roll into the throttle to anywhere in the triple digits, it will run fine for about 30-60 seconds, then start sputtering and losing power until it eventually dies. I have found that it I give it full choke and start it back up, it will run rough for a minute or two and die if I try to twist the throttle.When the revs rise to 3-4 k I can give it some gas and it will cough its way through the rev range for a few twists, then eventually run fine again. This has never happened on the surface roads as of yet, and has me baffled. I just filled it and dumped a can of seafoam in the tank, anyone have any ideas as to what could be the culprit? Thanks in advance!

no, it would lose power and die completely previously, the petcock was not allowing any fuel through at all. I cut a hole in the diaphragm and it was feeding fuel via gravity while I waited for the diaphragm to come in at the dealer and running fine. I will check the vent line though, I could have set the gas tank on it or something.

You're positive the rubber diaphragm is installed properly? It would be easy for the lip of the diaphragm to slip out of position during installation.

You're positive the rubber diaphragm is installed properly? It would be easy for the lip of the diaphragm to slip out of position during installation.

+1

You're getting fuel, just not enough. There should be a screen/filter where the fuel flows into the petcock. Check that to make sure it is clean. You might have to remove the petcock assembly to check this.

Good luck.