CBR1100XX.org Forum

swapping a R/R on 98 BB

bigblock

I apologize if this thread has been answered elsewhere but, I've been digging through the old threads and cannot find the answer...

I have a 98 bird and I am going to pick up a R/R from a 2001 R1 as a backup (or to install I guess). I know that I can order them from a number of different places for good prices.

What I cannot figure out (and I cannot find the thread) is how to install it?

Is there a way to "simply connect" it? Or am I cutting wires, and if so, how do I use the old one as a backup?

What is the difference between the newer Honda unit (the one with the fins) and the R1 other than price? Will it connect easily to my 98?

Any help with this (links to old posts) or whatever would be much appreciated...

Rick

Very straight forward...have you found the RR on your bike?

Looking at it you see its a simple swap.

A believe its on the left side under the seat bolted vertically (check your shop manual for exact location)...I swapped mine out about a year ago...it took all of 5 minutes.

Since I did this about a week ago, it's pretty fresh in my mind. A R-1 is not a straight swap.

1) You need to elongate one bolt hole in the R/R. The Yam's holes are just a tiny bit closer.

2) You will need to buy two longer bolts as the new R/R is a little thicker.

3) The plugs are different. There is more than one way to deal with this. If you want to be able to go from the Honda part to the Yam or back (like carrying a spare), you will want to use plug a play set-up. Bartonmd was making and seller them for cheap on here so PM him. I put the Yam. R/R on and I can carry the Honda part as a spare. Changing back would take 2 min.

BTW- I have a 97.

Changing back would take 2 min.

BTW- I have a 97.

The RR is under the rear cowl is it not? :icon_confused: That takes more than 2 minutes to get off :icon_surprised:

Changing back would take 2 min.

BTW- I have a 97.

The RR is under the rear cowl is it not? :icon_confused: That takes more than 2 minutes to get off :icon_surprised:

Depends on how much beer you've had and whether you know where your tools are. It's 8 bolts.

But.... yea.. he's prolly exaggerating a bit... :icon_biggrin:

Remove each spade connectors from the white plug.

DSC01762.jpg

DSC01761.jpg

Install the R1 r/r making one of the holes bigger.

I used shrink type rap to help it be water proof.

DSC01763.jpg

Three yellow wires in the back in any order. Red on the left. Green on the right.

It's been this way over 4 years and 30K miles on my 98 XX.......... and I do ride in the rain.

Hope this helps.

But.... yea.. he's prolly exaggerating a bit... :icon_biggrin:

Yeah I remember when I did my RR it took a good 2 hours as the NonFango pannier racks need to be removed first before I can even look at getting the cowl off :icon_surprised:

Come guys, just chuck your allen wrench into a air gun and zip, zip, zip nascar style, 30 seconds top. :icon_biggrin:

I use a cordless drill with the torque turned down.......... done deal.

• 2 weeks later...
Remove each spade connectors from the white plug.

DSC01762.jpg

DSC01761.jpg

Install the R1 r/r making one of the holes bigger.

I used shrink type rap to help it be water proof.

DSC01763.jpg

Three yellow wires in the back in any order. Red on the left. Green on the right.

It's been this way over 4 years and 30K miles on my 98 XX.......... and I do ride in the rain.

Hope this helps.

A few quick questions...

I got the R/R and I am halfway through the install (forgot to get longer bolts, :icon_rolleyes: ) it looks like I do not need to drill out the bolt holes as they seem spaced to fit...

but I have couple of quick questions...

1. Did you put anything behind the R/R when you bolted it to the frame? The back side of the one I have has a lower rectangular area with a tacky surface (sort of) should I put a piece of metal (or aluminum) there or something? is it necessary?

2. Other than the bike starting, how will I know if the R/R is doing its job once its installed? Is there an amount of voltage etc I can test with my voltmeter? I do not want to install it and then have it eat my battery (or worse) because its not grounded or some other issue...

any and all help is most appreciated...

Also, love the pics Jaysus they're a big help...

+1 on the drill as impact wrench....

UPDATE: I installed the R/R... no problems, the pics from Jaysus helped alot.... A few quick questions...

1. Did you guys put anything behind the R/R when you bolted it to the frame? The back side of the one I have has a lower rectangular area with a tacky surface (sort of) should I put a piece of metal (or aluminum) there or something? is it necessary?

2. Other than the bike starting (which it did), how will I know if the R/R is doing its job once its installed? Is there an amount of voltage etc. I can test with my voltmeter (I tested it at a steady 14.21 volts)? I do not want to install it and then have it eat my battery (or worse) because its not grounded or some other issue...

3. Last, how hot does your R/R run? is it cool to the touch at idle? after a ride?

thanks again

heat conducting is a plus as far as the back side so insulating properties would be bad.

Voltage of battery before and after starting the motor tell you what the regulator is doing. Just dont forget the rpm part.

UPDATE: I installed the R/R... no problems, the pics from Jaysus helped alot.... A few quick questions...

1. Did you guys put anything behind the R/R when you bolted it to the frame? The back side of the one I have has a lower rectangular area with a tacky surface (sort of) should I put a piece of metal (or aluminum) there or something? is it necessary?

2. Other than the bike starting (which it did), how will I know if the R/R is doing its job once its installed? Is there an amount of voltage etc. I can test with my voltmeter (I tested it at a steady 14.21 volts)? I do not want to install it and then have it eat my battery (or worse) because its not grounded or some other issue...

3. Last, how hot does your R/R run? is it cool to the touch at idle? after a ride?

thanks again

Charging Diagnostic and RR Swap :icon_think: