CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird let me down twice in two days.

redxxrdr

Running pilot roads, about 4k on front.

Checked air pressure before my ride, 38.5 psi. Grabbed the kids hand pump and put her up to 41 psi. Rode about 20 miles and steering got real heavy. Checked pressure, and talking gauge told me what I already knew. 12.5 psi LOW PRESSURE :icon_confused:

Gas station pump was broke, so Dragonryder brought me hand pump. Inflated and rode home. Pressure holding. Checked with kids bubble stuff mix, no leaks. Wiggled valve stem, no leaks. After a few hours, I went out for a 200+ mile ride, checking pressures every so often. Pressure went up with heat, but no leaks.

Get up today for another ride, check pressure. 40.5psi cold. Rode 3 miles, feels heavy again. 10.5 psi. Sent Dragonryder for pump, and rode Magna instead. Get home, tire flat. Just pumped up to 60psi, sprayed bubble stuff everywhere, no bubbles.

I think, and hope , that I may have gotten sand in the valve stem by using the hand pump my kids drag around. But never any bubbles.

I will pull the wheel and put in water, if no bubbles, I will spoon it off.

Any ideas?

A very small hole. The tire gets warm and he wheel is turning it expands and lets the air out.

Pump it up to 50 psi and check it again. :icon_think:

I always keep a spray bottle filled with water and some Dawn dishwashing soap for finding air leaks. It will bubble on the tiniest leak----when done, just wash the tire off with water. Happy trails kel

new core!!!

Take the old one out and inspect the seal. Bet you can see something.

+1

Change the Valve stem core...

everytime you check pressure your asking it to reseat and seal, and every now and again it's probably not sealling all the way...

Just change it.... and try all your testing again. :icon_biggrin:

Valve core changed, will have to see.

Another theory, Dragonryder ( Anita) was alone with the bike after I checked pressure both times.

My life insurance is paid up. I am worth more dead than alive anyway. :icon_think:

I will be getting a complete valve stem tomorrow and install it this week.

I plan to submerge the wheel, ( not to the bearings) when I do this, just to make sure.

I'll post up if I find something other than the valve.

Valve core changed, will have to see.

Another theory, Dragonryder ( Anita) was alone with the bike after I checked pressure both times.

My life insurance is paid up. I am worth more dead than alive anyway. :icon_think:

I will be getting a complete valve stem tomorrow and install it this week.

I plan to submerge the wheel, ( not to the bearings) when I do this, just to make sure.

I'll post up if I find something other than the valve.

1+ I told him I thought it was the valve core or crud in the valve itself.

As far as me being alone with the bird both times and the life insurance thing :icon_naughty:

Even though I was alone with the bike, I don't pay much attention to life insurance etc. And think about it. Why would I want the bird wrecked?! :icon_rolleyes:

As far as me being alone with the bird both times and the life insurance thing :icon_naughty:

Even though I was alone with the bike, I don't pay much attention to life insurance etc. And think about it. Why would I want the bird wrecked?! :icon_rolleyes:

Wow thats one mean sprited woman!! Gotta love her!! Bird wrecked... forget the hubby!! LOL

Is there a gasket in the valve stem cap? Even if the core leaks a little due to the centrifugal force of the tire in motion, the cap gasket should hold the pressure.

I had a related problem on an '87 Vette... the valve cap had an o-ring seal that was cut (but couldn't be seen)... when the cap was snugged down, the damaged end of the o-ring very slightly compressed the core plunger resulting in a seeping leak that drove me nuts for two days on a road trip. There were no symptoms (no bubbles, etc.) but for finding that the pressure had dropped over the course of a day or so... Take a real good look at that cap... and the core...

Wow thats one mean sprited woman!! Gotta love her!! Bird wrecked... forget the hubby!! LOL

Opps! My bad. I should have been more clear. "Why would I want Craig and/or the bird wrecked"