CBR1100XX.org Forum

Polishing wheels/parts

MiDNiTXX

I know back whenever joe was supposed to post a "how to" polish the wheels but alas..

So what material/equipment should I get for this? I want to polish the rims and several of the other parts but I am unsure what to use on it. Sandpaper (doubt it)? So what? Anything that I can get at a local hardware store or something would be great.

Thanks for the info!

I think Obby would be our resident expert on polishing, though I'm not sure if he did his own work or not. Maybe drop him a PM. Don (Bigboy) also knows a thing or two about it, I believe.

A good start would be a cloth wheel mounted on a drill and the appropriate polishing compounds, but I'm sure there's more knowledgable guys here who can point you in the right direction soon.......

PS- sandpaper does work, but that's definitely the labor intensive route

I polished my wheels a couple of summers ago. Go to Autozone or ??? and buy a paint stipper called "Aircraft Stripper". Tape off the area that you don't want to remove paint with an aluminized tape (auto parts store too). I also taped off the tire so that the stripper didn't get on the tire. Once the paint is removed, follow the instructions on the stripper can and wash off the stripper and paint residue. Then the fun begins. I started out with 400 grit wet n dry emery cloth, then 600 grit, then 1000 grit, then 1200 grit, then 1500 grit. You can even go to a 2000 grit wet and dry, it just depends on how shiny you want to end up with. After all of that, it's time for a good aluminum polish. After I discovered "Boms Away", I threw out my jar of Mother's brand aluminum polish. I'm not sure where you can get Boms Away because I bought mine at the vendor expo at the Honda Hoot this past summer. Hope this helps.

Just FYI, I used Vern's paint stripper technique, but didn't sand the aluminum. I found that just taking the paint off and using Mother's or Never Dull got them shiney enough for me.

Guess I was just lazy, but I think it looks great!

Good luck.

I just got through strippng mine with aircraft stripper. That is some nasty shit

so you'll will want plenty of ventilation! It's also much easier without tires mounted.

If you just want to do the rims they are nicely machined and may not require any sanding. The spokes are rough cast and will take some work.

Don't get that shit on you!

I just got through strippng mine with aircraft stripper. That is some nasty shit ...Don't get that shit on you!

Yep! I had gloves on and a little bit splashed on my arm.....seconds later I was running into the kitchen to flush the skin. Nasty Stuff, but it works.

This is the kit I ordered and it worked great. All you need is a high speed drill, elbow grease, and a lot of time. Good luck!

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alwheel.htm

-Rick

What can I say except I'm sorry. I won't bother giving any excuses but know that there is a reason I haven't posted that info yet. I would tell you I'll take care of it as soon as possible, but I don't want to leave an empty promise.

I will be a man of my word...

Joe

P.S. Polishing will be easier than you think!

Wow. I finished my first piece last night. Its the left foot peg bracket/heel guard. Granted I know next-to-nothing about the process, but it took way too long and my finger are killing me from spending 2hrs sanding those little nooks and such, then another hour polishing. The only saving grace is it looks fantastic.

I think I may just ship it all off to be chromed :)

Any clue how much weight chrome adds on a wheel?

Any clue how much weight chrome adds on a wheel?

You techie geeks out there can clean up the finer points of this next statement, but:

It is not so much about adding weight, but where you are adding it. There are a whole bunch of calcs to determine your wheel's moment of inertia, but essentially, any weight that is added increases the moment of inertia and thereby has a negative impact on performance and handling.....even if it is only a minor impact. Weight added to the outside (rim edge) of the wheel is worse than the same weight added to the inside (hub). Oh yea...one more thing: I don't know how much weight chroming will add. :grin::grin::grin:

-Rick

Here's the step by step instructions:

1. Take off the wheels and tires.

2. Bring them down to your local metal polishing shop.

3. Pay around $300.00 for the set (well worth it).

3. Put the wheels and tires back on.

I have done a few of the smaller parts by hand though. As you know, It's quite a chore without the proper equipment (buffing wheels, polishing compounds, rags ect.). It's also a very messy. Plan on throwing away plenty of blackend rags too. If you try to wash them, do it by hand. They really f' up the washing machines. You better plan on wearing some good gloves too, unless you like smelling gasoline-like for a few days after. That polish must get into your blood or something.

As far as the maintenace goes, I use an airplane polish called Rolite Aluminum Polish and Honda Spray Polish.

Right-side frame...

right%20side%20fit.jpg

It's definately a labor of love. :hump:

Yeah I know adding wheel weight is bad, bad, bad...but its oh so much easier! Heck, $300 to polish a wheel, or $400 to chrome it :) (or $150 for a rim job!)

I would love to get some aftermarket "shiney" wheels but I blew my budget on a turbo :( I hate making decisions! My riding partner says he would rather look fast then be fast...obviously I disagreed.

BTW Bigboy, your bike looks great.

• 1 year later...

Bump. I just tried stripping my rims with the Aircraft stuff..

I think the aluminum tape will allow bleeding.. I want a nice crisp line.. Should I use a Paint brush and the Alum Tape or another kind of masking tape..

you might try the paint brush route, but the aircraft stripper works pretty fast. It shouldn't leech through the aluminum tape much at all. I know people who use plain old masking tape with about 4 layers and they've not had any problem with it. If you are doing your lips, it shouldn't be too hard as the lips are machined fairly smooth. You just have to sand down the very small ridges. If you're doing the wheel spokes, then you definately have a big job ahead of you if you don't have the right stuff for it.

Rear wheel done.. The aluminum tape worked great... One side came out a bit cleaner than the other but it looks great.. Only the lip was done. Gotta make arrangements to get the front done.. I order the caswell aluminum polishing kit... I am gonna wait till I get that to do the front..

What do you guys suggest using to maintain the finish..

John suggests clear coat spray paint..?

Thanks for the help I'll try yo post some pics but hosting for me is kinda a pain..

You don't want to clear over the polished parts. They're smooth and the clear won't stick right. The clear will also turn yellow over time and you'll have to re-clear. I keep my polished stuff waxed real good and go over it with mothers from time to time to keep the shine up.