CBR1100XX.org Forum

K/N vs. stock air filter

R1000

The bike is far more responsive on cruise RPM after installing the ignition advancer. So, I've now also developed a taste for low and mid rpm response. Question is, will a stock air filter improve low end and mid range response? I believe it will but is interested to hear your findings. My bike has been equipped with K/N ever since I bought it.

When the bike is started now, with the 3 deg advancer, the choke can be disengaged directly and the bike idles perfectly well on 1000 rpm cold. The normal idle on my bike is set quite a bit higher though to improve lubrication, eliminate the cluch rattle and to get better out of slow corner response.

If any not by much, EVLXX posted a dyno sheet a while back with a K&N v.s Stock & found the stock made approx 1-2 more peak HP on dyno. Not sure about the bottom end though.

If any not by much, EVLXX posted a dyno sheet a while back with a K&N v.s Stock & found the stock made approx 1-2 more peak HP on dyno. Not sure about the bottom end though.

Thanks. I have a feeling that the vacuum carbs may like a bit more restriction in the air filter. It is typhical for vaccum carbs (I think) that they go full throttle when the bike is gunned, but then moves down a bit even if the handle is fully twisted. I'll test the bike later on the same dyno as before. I'm keen to see how the power and torque has changed with the advancer. It feels like it has got another 10 hp at 5000 rpm or like it has dropped 20 kg. The right thing would be to compare a stock and K/N filter on the Dyno at that time.

Interesting. I'd try that out at the drag strip once it opens up again in fall. My bike is mapped for the K&N so who knows if there would be much of a difference. I may end up running a little rich. Remember, fall weather here is still mid to low 80's in the day time.

Interesting. I'd try that out at the drag strip once it opens up again in fall. My bike is mapped for the K&N so who knows if there would be much of a difference. I may end up running a little rich. Remember, fall weather here is still mid to low 80's in the day time.