CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Dunlop Wear

runner

I switched to a Dunlop front qualifier (against my better judgement) and the wear rate is unreal. In 2,000 miles its almost shot! These miles havent been that hard and the back tire (replaced at the same time) is still at 75% (OK).

Why would the front wear so fast (all over). It even has very small tread cracks like it was 20 years old. I obviously checked the Mfg date and it was mid 2005. Do you think I got a defect?

In 25+ years of road riding I have never had a tire wear so fast...No more Dunlop's for me...

Qualifiers are designed for a 380 lbs motorcycle the bird is a bit heavy for those.

The Qualifier offers true racetrack-level grip and performance for the street.

Rear-tire compound blends three race-developed polymers to maximize grip and warm up quickly in the wet or the dry.

Race-derived front-tire profile promotes quicker turn-in and lighter steering while also contributing to a larger footprint at maximum lean angles.

Advanced belt design and Jointless Band (JLB) construction reduce unsprung weight for quicker acceleration and enhanced steering characteristics.

Next-generation cosecant-curve tread pattern allows the driving and braking forces to remain aligned properly under cornering conditions.

I had the same problem witht the Qualifiers. The one I had on the front cupped within 500 miles (hard riding).

How are you liking the PR2's???

I run dunlop qualifiers, 208.

They are a track tire. I don't care so much for the wear, as I'd rather have the grip with some of the crazy shit I do. After a run up the mountain, it's not uncommon to see some discoloration from the heat the tire has built up supporting my fat ass. I don't drive so good, and my form sucks, so I like a tire that is more forgiving of my ham-handedness.

I guess when I get my next bike and finally convert this thing into a tourer, I will go Michelin, until then I will melt them dunlops away. Fwiw, I get them for about $150 installed, so I don't care much.

I had the same problem witht the Qualifiers. The one I had on the front cupped within 500 miles (hard riding).

I am loving them! I have found the holy grail (finally). They are a little slick in the middle, but predictable and confidence inspiring once you get them out on the soft part. I have put them through their paces (Arkansas trip right after I put them on) and they have performed beautifully. So far I think I have somewhere aroung 2000 mi. on them and you can bearly feel where they are starting to square off.

I am loving them! I have found the holy grail (finally). They are a little slick in the middle, but predictable and confidence inspiring once you get them out on the soft part. I have put them through their paces (Arkansas trip right after I put them on) and they have performed beautifully. So far I think I have somewhere aroung 2000 mi. on them and you can bearly feel where they are starting to square off.

Good to hear it, I'm going to try a set after these crapy Avon storms are done.

There is nothing wrong with Dunlops in general. I have about 5-6000 miles on my front Qualifier plus four track days. It's about two-thirds gone and yes there is cupping. Show me a sport-type front street tire that doesn't cup; :icon_snooty: Unless you stay off the front brakes. Yes, I tried the PP's. Still cupped within 1000 miles.

You said the manufactured date was in 2005. The current Qualifier was not being made yet, so I'm guessing you have an old 208. Check your tire pressure. You should be running at least 40 psi on the street. Also was the tire and wheel balanced properly? If it's way out of balance, you could get some strange and/or accelerated wear.