CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turbo XX

JB4XX

So the turbo is sucking oil when it switches from boost to vacuum great for killin misquitoes, suxx for folks riding behind you.

So I sent pictures and emailed the same guy at Hahn Turbo back and forth several times today and have some good leads to start with...

Check all crank case vent to make sure they are flowing freely. Also make sure that the oil drain from turbo is routed correctly. Is the oil level to high? It the back end of the bike raises higher than the front of the bike? This could cause oil to back up into the turbo. How old is the install? Was this evident from day 1? What if anything have you changed recently? Please let me know what you find.

It looks like the oil line is going up hill slightly. Also your air filter is crushed, this could be causing the turbo to pull oil due to the vacuum it is creating. With our standard kit when we sold it we used a long flexible tube to route the air filter up so it doesn’t get crushed by the body panels. Lower the oil level down to mid way between full and add and see if this corrects your issues. Also do a compression check to make sure the engine is in good condition. If this all checks out OK then getting the turbo here may be a good idea. Let me know what you find.

I checked the oil and it is on the high side of full. I always hold the bike upright when checking the oil instead of on the stand.

I may look at routing the air intake up to the nose, I have never liked the way Elton just smashed the K&N under the body fairing.

The rear of the bike is shimmed and it rides on a Ohlins from Chris' bike so that probably doesnt help with the oil draining back from the turbo.

The bike runs great and shows no signs of any problems besides the smoke off boost, never smokes unless you are into the boost.

:icon_think:

Picture178Large.jpg

Picture179Large.jpg

Picture177Large.jpg

Picture180Large.jpg

+1 on the turbo seal, If this is the case it will need rebuilding.

Man what is up with the wrecked K&N ? Get a adapter tube on that thing & let it breath a little better, makes more power that way you know.

Holy shit... that air filter looks scary! I get pissed when I have a few fins out of alignment... having a filter smashed like that would throw me into fits.

Hopefully with that and the oil level correction it will fix your problem. Riding behind you took me back to the days of my '74 Merc Comet... that fresh burning oil smell!

Try running without the filter to quickly check if it is the issue, though I doubt it. As the air flow is so small on decel, it isn't going to make much vacuum unless totally constricted, and then it would not still be able to make power at WOT.

Turbos use very little oil flow. The oil leaving the turbo is frothy though, and needs a very low restriction path back to the sump. If your oil level is above the drain pipe line outlet I would expect a problem. I agree with Hahn about running at min oil level to check this question.

Are you careful about not doing a hot turbo shutdown? IF you've coked up the bearings this might be the first sign.

The turbo bearings are fine. Doubt very seriously that the thing is all coked up either.

Mine did the exact same smoke thing.

Stupid retards at hahn try to get oil to flow uphill.

34hahn.jpg

At least yours has a different return point with that blue hose. I ran mine to an adaptor that screws into the oil drain hole.

I still think the best way to stop that problem is to create a negatve pressure in the crankcase so the oil doesn't get backed up in the turbo.

Generally with IC engines there is enough blow by around the rings to create a positive pressure in the crankcase. If you're trying to drain a thick liquid back into that space the pressure will slow your progress leaving more oil in the bearings of the turbo.

I made an adaptor that allowed me to run a much larger air filter than the pathetic POS hahn includes. Mine was so undersized when I boosted it would suck all the red oil from the filter.

My new one does stick out the side so there goes some of the stealth look but it has zero effect on HP.

In your case that small crushed filter isn't causing the oil problem, it isn't helping, but I doubt that is the cause. Even mine with the freer flowing filter still creates some vacuum at the compressor inlet. Your small filter will sap some of the turbos efficiency by creating a greater vacuum between the compressor and the filter. Basically it means you are trying to make power by compressing a vacuum, where it must bring the air up to zero psi then compress it. It's better to start with atmospheric pressure.

I'd toss that small filter and get a bigger one or at a minimum straighten it out. Then install a tube and mount the filter on the end. K&N will do custom builds for about the same price as a standard.

Now to solve the oil smoke problem, tap into the tube between the compressor and the filter to use the vacuum created at the mouth of the compressor by boosting.

Next run a hose from the tap up to the top of the valve cover.

There you'll find the PCV hose barb, connect to it.

It originally went to the PAIR system and vented the crankcase gases into the exhaust to be burnt. Now you can use it to create negative pressure in the crankcase.

Problem solved.

I run mine with the oil level at the upper end of the range.

Thanks Forrest, Dean and others...

So the bearings are fine, are the seals part of the bearing?

Going to pull the fairing Sunday and see what I cant come up with.

Your turbos fine Josh.

Once you get the oil issue sorted out you'll see.

Ask some of the guys at OzarkXX. Mine used to smoke alot.

Especially after riding/shut off/start up.

I'm trying to think, that was 4-5 years ago.

Hasn't done it since I made did the mod.

• 2 years later...
Doubt very seriously that the thing is all coked up either.

Stan took the turbo home from Ozarxx and went through it.

It was coked up.

DSC00797.jpg