CBR1100XX.org Forum

Are 97 & 99 Forks Interchangeable?

RXX

I have just received a generous offer for a set of forks for my bike. I only need the lower tubes, but this is (I think) a sweet deal (THANKS to you know who you are)

The only glitch may be I think they are different. Hondapartsdirect has different #'s for the lower tubes.

Any of you guys know of any practical differences?? Matt? Josh? Bueller?

Internal valving differences. They'll bolt right up and I doubt any but an expert level rider could tell the difference. I can't advise as to whether the '97 lowers will work with the FI model damper rod and upper tube.

So the whole SET should interchange, then? I am looking at the entire set, already rebuilt. I was mostly worried that the axle size, or fender or brake caliper mounts may be different.

Thanks for the help, Redbird!

You'll be fine with the break and fender mounts.

The axles for the FI bikes are different but only because the spacers are different.

Use FI spacers on a FI axle.

The 97/98 fork lowers need 97/98 outer fork bushings, which are the bushings that go into the fork lowers. 99+ fork bushing (inner and outer) are several mm taller that the earlier ones.

I'm not sure if a 99+ fork seal kit will fit into 97/98 fork lowers, probably.

Bottom line...

I'm almost positive that the 99+ fork sliders will work just fine in the 97/98 fork lowers, but like said - you'll need 97/98 outer fork bushings and maybe a 97/98 seal kit.

BTW, if I don't find some 97/98 sliders for an extra fork set I want to rebuild, I have 97/98 fork bushings and 97/98 for seal kits. All are brand new, unopened in the original Honda packaging.

You'll be fine with the break and fender mounts.

The axles for the FI bikes are different but only because the spacers are different.

Use FI spacers on a FI axle.

I am a bit confused? I just put a set of 04 forks in my 98 and they bolted straight in :icon_surprised: I used all the 98 parts (axle, spacers etc), everything seemed the same :icon_confused:

Are you saying that because of the different rims they are different spacers and axles :icon_confused:

I am a bit confused? I just put a set of 04 forks in my 98 and they bolted straight in :icon_surprised: I used all the 98 parts (axle, spacers etc), everything seemed the same :icon_confused:

Are you saying that because of the different rims they are different spacers and axles :icon_confused:

97/98 axles need 97/98 spacers. FI axles need FI spacers. With the right spacers, the axles are interchangeable.

97/98 axles need 97/98 spacers. FI axles need FI spacers. With the right spacers, the axles are interchangeable.

I'm OK then :icon_biggrin: