CBR1100XX.org Forum

plastic noise from front

lifeisnow

It can be normal, or it can be the result of incorrectly installed plastics.

Your gauge cluster is rubber mounted, and can make noise and jiggle when riding over rough areas such as railroad tracks. Some folks place a couple of extra washers under the nuts that hold it in place to tighten it up.

There are other things you can check as well. Start by going over the entire fairing. Its should not move on the body when properly installed. Check the fit of the ram air tubes in the front cowl (if yours is fuel injected). Look at all the fasteners in every panel...not just the bolts, but the plastic reusable pop rivets. Get a light and run your fingers along the edge of each panel, including the center V-piece. Check that the lower cowls meet properly and are fastened underneath the bike. Also look at the dash and trim components that are placed inside the fairing. And if you've added electronics or toys, make sure they are well fastened.

It can be normal, or it can be the result of incorrectly installed plastics.

Your gauge cluster is rubber mounted, and can make noise and jiggle when riding over rough areas such as railroad tracks. Some folks place a couple of extra washers under the nuts that hold it in place to tighten it up.

There are other things you can check as well. Start by going over the entire fairing. Its should not move on the body when properly installed. Check the fit of the ram air tubes in the front cowl (if yours is fuel injected). Look at all the fasteners in every panel...not just the bolts, but the plastic reusable pop rivets. Get a light and run your fingers along the edge of each panel, including the center V-piece. Check that the lower cowls meet properly and are fastened underneath the bike. Also look at the dash and trim components that are placed inside the fairing. And if you've added electronics or toys, make sure they are well fastened.

the previous owne installed the new lightining on the dashboard, can it be that?

Dear life,

Oh that sounds deep. Anyho...

What year is your XX. If it's a 97 or 98, there's a plastic guide in the nose cowl that directs air to the oil cooler. Maybe it's loose. If the headlight is loose, it too can cause a plastic on plastic rattle. If it's a cold, rainy day at your location, like it is here, then remove the nose cowl and have a looksie.

You could also check your windscreen fasteners to make sure they are all tight.

You can hear this clearly with you helmet on?

If you hav a safe place to do so, parking lot, ride over a rough area at a safe speed without your helmet. You may be able to pinpoint the area better.

hi there i removed the plastic panels that are situated under the dashboard and all is in place and well fastened and no noises there, I went for a ride on rough surfaces with my friend as a pillion and we found out now that its the plastics from side fairings or under the tank the click is coming not form the front

Does your 'Bird have the light under the nose cone (below the ram ducts, on the floor of the upper fairing) or the squarish plastic filler piece..? Both have been known to get a little loose as they get older and rattle under the right circumstances... Damn, that sounds a lot like most of us, doesn't it..? Anyway, a dab or two of clear silicone adhesive on the edges usually solves the problem.

Please explain what good a butt plug will do?

C'mon Joe You should know they are WAY too SMALL to be a butt plug for Hobie :icon_evilgrin:

Does your 'Bird have the light under the nose cone (below the ram ducts, on the floor of the upper fairing) or the squarish plastic filler piece..?

My 98 just has a square hole :icon_surprised: No light and no filler piece :icon_confused:

i found out that the plastic cover there is under the headlamo was loose, I pushed it in and no mor noise and rattle I am hoping. can anyone tell me what is that plastic square cover?

On Euro spec 'birds there is a small running light in the bottom of the headlight. The little plastic cover covers the hole for access to that light. Look down through the lens and you'll see where there's a knockout for the light.

Guys I really need your help now as this thing is driving me crazy, listen all I hear is click every now on then on bumby roads coming from somewhere in front, sometimes I hear nothing. I am thinking this is something normal as everything is in place. what do you think? shall I change the fork oil maybe?

If you are hearing this with your helmet on, could it be something on your helmet? Maybe your chin strap slapping the side of your helmet.

Do you hear it without your helmet on?

lifer,

Check that the chin fairing is properly secured. Many of the fasteners on the side fairings and chin fairing (piece in front of the headers) are secured with plastic push pins. They don't last long.

Here's a short list of things to check:

1. Are the two side fairings pinned together under the bike.

2. Is a foreign object (rock, bolt, washer, tool, etc.) inside the fairings, perhaps the sides of the nose cowling?

3. Is the chin fairing secure - three push pins per side and a screw on either side at the bottom.

4. There is a shroud that covers the top of the radiator, is it properly positioned and secured?

5. Verify that there are the two placement nubs on the back of the headlight holding it in two large grommets in the cowling stay.

6. Is a foreign object lodged on the inside (back) of the header pipes?

7. Are the headers secured?

8. Is the centerstand spring nice and tight. When you push the bike off the centerstand, it should forcefully retract. There are two springs coiled inside each other that retract the centerstand. Also check the kickstand.

9. The cowling stay is bolted to the steering stem, are those bolts tight?

If you post close-up photos of the front of your bike I'll let you know if I see anything unusual.

Where are you located?

Is there a fellow XX'r in your area who could help you?