CBR1100XX.org Forum

you have to be kidding me!

RedFury93

You can call me thick in the head if this topic has already been beat to death. I changed the OEM 12k old airfilter with a K+N filter on my '98 and now at highway speeds I have a noticeable bog on roll-on. It is most noticeable in 4th 5th and 6th gear at highway speeds. The spark plugs were replaced earlier this summer and I had no problems at that time. Now i know the vacuum signal line is hooked up to the correct nipple on the gas tank. Does this sound like a ruptured Vacuum diaphram at the petcock? There isn't any fuel dripping out of the nipple when I take the vacuum line off. I did add about 1.5 ounces of Sta-bil to a full take of 87 octane the last fill up but the stumble/surge existed before that fill up. Or does this sound like I need to rejet/shim my carbs. I can't believe an airfilter can make THAT much of a difference! I still have the stock exhaust installed as well. The engine will smooth out and pull to redline after it hits approx 8k rpm in each gear but it's dis-concerting waiting for the power to come back on-line when i needed it on an entrance ramp.

The topic has been covered before, more or less; everyone's particular personal experience has been a little different. My first recommendation would be to replace the K&N with the stock filter, and see if the bogging you speak of goes away. If it does, you know the replacement filter is most likely the culprit. If you are determined to use the K&N filter, you are probably looking at also installing a less restrictive aftermarket exhaust, and doing some rejetting in order to bring everything back into balance, for a modest performance gain.

Stock K&N's come over-oiled.. I had to clean mine with a recharger

kit and "lightly" re-oil it to make any use out of it..

:cool: TJ :cool:

Thanks for the input guys! I did not realize that the amount of oil on the filter could make that big of a difference. Any decent aerosol cleaners available at the automotive parts stores? My experience with brak clean is that it is awesome stuff but just too damn aggressive.

put the brakeclean can down and slowly back away from the filter! :shock: :grin: :grin: :grin:

get the kit from k&n. it has enough cleaner and oil to last almost forever. and its about 11 bucks at most parts stores, walmart, etc.

Been down that road also, on my dads 98 and on my old 86 FJ. Yes the air filter makes that big of a deal and the real problem is with the K&N in you are bogging it with a lean mixture. You will either need fatter jets or the stock filter to fix the problem. Adding pipes will only make the problem even worse, and yes... you may notice a slight power gain in the top of the Revs. The most noticable on the road seat of the pants increase will be from 85 to 120mph, or if you dump the clutch on a hard acceleration down shift...... get ready for a (small) wheely when you never had one before.

If you can change the jets yourself, not knowing your altitude and other factors, change both the main and more importantly the pilot jet one step at a time until you remmedy the problem. By taking it one step at a time you will be able to feel the bike perform properly as soon as you get it corrected, plus you will also maintian all of your gas mileage (you might even gain alittle). Your pilot jet afects the fuel curve through-out the rpm range... so contrary to some mechanic you do need to change it!

Remember I said if you can change your own jets....... if not find a very reputable mechanic, that loves dirt bikes, he'll understand.

I cleaned up the air filter and just spritzed a bit o' oil on the K+N. The bog is still present. I'm not gung ho for an increase of power just reliability... (The whole reason I bought this GT) I have an stock airfilter on order from ron ayers so with any luck this problem will be solved. I'm hopeful that the planets will align and my woman will make mad passionate love to me tonight under a crescent moon to help ward off any bad Honda karma. :grin:

I'm hopeful that the planets will align and my woman will make mad passionate love to me tonight under a crescent moon to help ward off any bad Honda karma.

Lots of luck. You'll probably just get a bunch of kids ringing your doorbell asking for candy. Planets never align on Halloween.

K@N flow little more air,mixture will be leaner.If there is too much oil fitler is more restrictive, so cleaning and reoiling is conterproductive to your problem.

If that were my bike I would open pilot screws 1/2 turn and shim the needle 1/2 mil with some washer.

You may not need new main jets as many carb bikes run too RICH at full throttle/top end with stock jets.

The 1997/98 bikes were set up to run very lean, especially in the mid range rpms. With this in mind, if you do install a freer flowing exhaust or air filter you can create a situation where you would have the bike bog on you while tring to accelerate.

Now with a carburator you have basically 4 circuits.

The pilot screw is part of the cold start, idle and slow speed circuits. If this is where the bog occures, Honda recommends that you perform an idle drop procedure. You will need a tac that reads in 50rpm increments. Now if the bog is somewhere between 3500 and 8000rpm You should go after the jet needle, maybe a small washer under the stock clip could act to help raise the needle from the main jet allowing a bit more fuel in. If the bog is above 7or 8000rpm, then go after the main jets.

Hope this helps.

I have a 2002 XX with FI. What happens with this setup if I put in a K&N air filter?

The big advantage with K&N is that they flow a bit better and can be recleaned instead of having to replace the filter.

I have put K&Ns in my FJ1100 and it has worked well with only cleaning for 15 years-without changing jets.

I also use a K&N on a cold intake tube on my FI 1990 300ZX. This has also worked well for about 10 yearswithout any changes to the FI.

Why do they effect the XX so much?

Tim

As I stated above.

The 1997/98 bikes were set up to run very lean right from the factory, especially in the mid range rpms.

Honda does this with all their vehicles, the company loves the environment.

With the 2002 model you have a bit more leway in what you can do because the bike has an 02 sensor in the exhaust. This sensor helps the computor to know what is coming from the motor as far as pollutants, thus allowing a more perfect air/fuel mixture with the increased air flow that the K&N provides. However if you were to install some slip-ons with that K&N air filter, I would suggest a PC-3 because Honda's computor is only going to give you so much.