CBR1100XX.org Forum

Do it yerself rear tire change (strap method)

ag90fox

I was considering trying that tire mounting method using the straps (posted on another board linked here). A couple of questions I could use answered before I commit and buy a tire online. (I may be way out of my league on how hard it actually is, so I'll have a back up shop who'll do it if I choke)

1. How hard is it to break the bead on the old, mounted tire? Do you just jump up/down on the old tire til it separates from the rim?

2. Do motorcycle tires need to be balanced? If I were successful at doing the change, would I then have to take it to a garage to get it balanced anyways?

Thanks!

Joe

I was considering trying that tire mounting method using the straps (posted on another board linked here). A couple of questions I could use answered before I commit and buy a tire online. (I may be way out of my league on how hard it actually is, so I'll have a back up shop who'll do it if I choke)

1. How hard is it to break the bead on the old, mounted tire? Do you just jump up/down on the old tire til it separates from the rim?

2. Do motorcycle tires need to be balanced? If I were successful at doing the change, would I then have to take it to a garage to get it balanced anyways?

1. It will probably be stuck pretty tight, requiring something involving leverage rather than direct pressure. Unless you have the right tools to do it, plan on your rims getting scratched by whatever proprietary setup you devise to do it. Breaking the bead itself is not rocket science...its just figuring out how to apply the direct pressure. However, the right tools don't need to be sophisticated or complicated. Check these links.....the right tools can be pretty cheap.

WebBikeWorld

Internet BMW Riders

And for nice quick tutorial....basic, yet complete.

Changing sportbike tire

2. Yes, motorycle tires need balanced, but often, the tire is uniform enough that its not really necessary. Start doing the speeds XX is capable of and you'll probably wish you had done it. Generally I find that unbalanced wheels are quite often fine until you hit 75-85 mph...then they become an issue. To start with, be sure that the colored dot on the tire that indicates the lightest area (usually yellow) is next to your valve stem (theoretically the heaviest area of the rim). While you're doing this, ensure that the arrow on the tire is consistant with the direction of rotation. You can balance the wheel yourself with nothing more than stick on weights and patience by supporting the axled wheel on two supports such as jackstands...or even mount it untightened on the bike with the brake caliper and chain off if you can't find any milk crates or stacks of books.

As far as the strap mounting...yeah, it will work. Tire irons are cheap and faster. As with most other things, its technique, not technology. Remember that with most of these tutorials and demos, the user is practiced using relatively clean and broken in equipment...that includes the tire. New tires are stiff and aren't familiar with the process, so like a donkey, they tend to resist what they don't know how to do. And as with anything else in life, lubrication is paramount. You should have an air source capable of maintaining 2-3 cubic feet of air at 100psi to get the bead seated....and lube the bead just before that step. And lastly, again as in real life, your best bet is to have an experienced assistant for the first time.

Thanks!

Joe

Joe,

Where are you? Lots of us on here change our own tires, and I'm sure somebody would give you a tutorial and let you use thier equiptment...

Mike