CBR1100XX.org Forum

Replacing Start Stop Switch

tofastgt

If I barely touch my stop switch while the bike is running it cuts off. Then it will start up right away again. I want to replace this switch with a new one. Can anyone tell me the steps to r&r the switch? Any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks

I have one if you want it.

To change it you won't like it.

Remove mirrors.

remove side farings.

windshield.

covers over ram air and dash.

front faring

gas tank.

air cleaner housing

find adjuster in the throttle cables and reduce to minimum. two places. one is at the throttle tube and switch.

Take the two screws out from the bottom of switch.

one of the throttle cable screws is a clamp and the other is a threaded into the housing with jam nut.

open up the housing and work the cable out of the throttle tube that goes to the clamp cable. remove. work the other cable off the throttle tube.

unscrew the housing from the other screw cable, first back off the jam nut.

trace the wiring to the end and unplug.

reverse.

Very fun stuff, if your into s & m

If I barely touch my stop switch while the bike is running it cuts off. Then it will start up right away again. I want to replace this switch with a new one. Can anyone tell me the steps to r&r the switch? Any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks

You'll have to remove at least the windscreen and probably the upper cowl, depending on year. It's cake from there, just follow the wire (be sure to note the routing) to where it joins the harness and unplug it. Reverse instruction for installation ;)

edit- Stan is right, I forgot you'll have the throttle to deal with. Sorry, it's been awhile.

It takes about 10 minutes on a carbed bird. Did it during my 15 minute break at work.

Remove the bar end.

Remove the right fillerpanel

Remove clip on.

Remove screws from switch housing.

Remove clip on from switch housing.

The main electrical connector is under the gauge cluster.

There's a few other details that I'm sure I'm missing, but you'll get the jist of it once you get started.

FI birds may be different.

Inspect the wiring inside the switch pod. One of my solder connections was barely hanging on.

Have you tried just cleaning the switch with contact cleaner and then adding some lube? Flip the switch vigorously back and forth as you spray. Just removing the switch cluster screws so that you can get the spray needle inside the cluster might also help. This trick works wonders sometimes...

Have you tried just cleaning the switch with contact cleaner and then adding some lube? Flip the switch vigorously back and forth as you spray. Just removing the switch cluster screws so that you can get the spray needle inside the cluster might also help. This trick works wonders sometimes...

Make sure the contact cleaner is safe for plastics!!

Don't ask :icon_redface:

+1

If that doesn't work, replace the guts of the switch from another one. Anything to keep from doing all that other work.

(Don't forget to hook up the wires for the brake light switch when your done.)