CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carb vacuum ports?

Hooplehead

Been trying to figure out how to sync my carbs. After removing the tank and getting gas on my new paint job, I noticed a shit ton of hoses loose. After being pissed about all that, I couldn't find those screws that hide the vacuum ports for carb sync. I found the adjustment screws, but where the hell do I get my vacuum readings? I know, "rtfm hooplehead", but really I have stared at the damn thing for 15 minutes and finally gave up when I noticed a crack going from my grab bar to the rear seat. Son-of-a-bitch! The more I try to fix on this damn bike, the more I find wrong! Guess I gotta buy a piece of foam for my airbox too. Anyhow, anyone got any pics of where I hook up my lines? This $90 manual is seeming to have been a huge over-investment!

This $90 manual is seeming to have been a huge over-investment!

You paid $90 for a manual... :icon_doh:

Only one of the ports has a nipple on it---under the #1 Carb (counting from the left). It should be the line that is running to your fuel petcock. The remaining 3 ports have the short bolts or screws in them under each carb. When putting in your adapters, use very little pressure as you don't want to break one off.

Make very small adjusts working to the ideal----otherwise it's easy to get things all fucked up. Take your time----make little adjustments at a time-----and if you have a fan of some sort to put in the front of the radiator it will help keep it from getting too hot.

By the way---there are at least two hoses that are vents and not hooked to anything on the bottom---that is the way it should be.

As for the little crack-----get a very small drill and drill a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading. That or take the tailpiece off and repair it.

Good luck-------happy trails kel

This $90 manual is seeming to have been a huge over-investment!

You paid $90 for a manual... :icon_doh:

Yeah, I know. The local shop around here is totally bending me over every time I buy parts. I had to drive two towns up to buy fork oil, cuz Jim's aint seeing any of my money! Bitch about the shop in town, he stocks NOTHING, and doesn't give me prices until he's already ordered the stuff. Either I get screwed up front at Jim's, or screwed sideways in town. I am quickly learning to order everything online!

Thanks rideonxx, I'll keep looking at the carbs and see if I can locate the ports. Going to take off the rear cowl and weld/reinforce the grab bar mounting places. I hope this doesn't become an everyday thing!

The ports are not on the carbs----they are below them. Just follow the vacuum tube that runs from the petcock on your tank to it's source and that is one of them----the rest are on the same horizontal level with little hex head bolts in them.

Frustration and anger seems to cause a sort of 'blindness'---so just stay cool---follow the vacuum hose and you will be there.

Happy trails kel

The ports are not on the carbs----they are below them. Just follow the vacuum tube that runs from the petcock on your tank to it's source and that is one of them----the rest are on the same horizontal level with little hex head bolts in them.

Frustration and anger seems to cause a sort of 'blindness'---so just stay cool---follow the vacuum hose and you will be there.

Happy trails kel

Blind is right! Holy shit, I walked over to the bike looked down and damn, there they are. I didn't realize I was supposed to look UNDER the carbs. I was looking for srews, but they seem to be allen bolts. Either way, perhaps I really am a hooplehead? Thanks kel. I'll put a pic for any other visually challenged.