CBR1100XX.org Forum

Std Fork Spring Preload

Para045

Hi I have done a bit of a search but found nothing conclusive? I am in the process of putting some newer (04) forks on my 98XX, they have Ohlins valves and I am putting 1.2kg/mm Sonic Springs in them with Motul 5w oil :icon_surprised:

What I want to know is roughly what sort of preload should be on the springs when assembling them?

From looking at the old forks with the OEM springs there is ~9.5mm (3/8") between the top of the fork tube and the lip on the cap :icon_surprised:

The Sonic Springs are 80mm longer so should I cut the spacer down to leave the same sort of gap on the tube-cap or should I cut the spacer longer and then assemble and set sags and go from there :icon_confused:

1.2? Jesus, how much do you weigh?

I'd start a little longer than the stock preload and cut down from there as necessary. Depending on where you bought them you might be able to get some starting numbers from them based on your weight.

1.2? Jesus, how much do you weigh?

I'd start a little longer than the stock preload and cut down from there as necessary. Depending on where you bought them you might be able to get some starting numbers from them based on your weight.

I weigh ~135kg (300lb's) nude :icon_surprised: The Racetech site recommended 1.15kg/mm for road riding and a few people have said that they usually go on the lighter side as far as spring rates go and also after a few emails I decided to go for the 1.2's :icon_surprised:

Got them from Sonic springs, starting longer is what I was going to do :icon_surprised:

. . . I weigh ~135kg (300lb's) nude :icon_surprised:

Damn man! When you figure out the perfect set-up, all I gotta do is half it. :icon_nana:

Dont listen to those scrawny little bastids!

I would not use any pre-load or just enough to put a little tension on it. These spring guys are setting you up for right at perfect. Pre-load should not be needed except to keep it all in place.