CBR1100XX.org Forum

Suspension refresh

bwflorence

I see there are a few topics covering suspension recently...so I thought id add my 2c worth...

Just got back from Phillip Island and the World Superbikes.

Had a few days playing in the Australian Alps, which really highlighted the crap suspension on my bird.

In fast cornering (or what I consider fast) its nervous on the turn in, wallows around mid corner and, if you hit a bump, it wants to stand straight back up.

Its also destroyed my Pirelli Strada rear.

So, ive booked my girl in for a full suspension service.

So, while I have everything pulled apart, I was thinking of upgrading the suspension...

Any recommendations ??

:icon_whistle:

So, Ive booked my girl in for a full suspension service.

So, while I have everything pulled apart, I was thinking of upgrading the suspension...

Any recommendations ??

Yeah get rid of the Pirelli's and put on Michelin's :icon_surprised:

Suspension? Depends how deep your pockets are?

First thing is have you put a "6mm SHIM" on the rear shock? This I reckon is the cheapest improvement you can make to the stock XX suspension :icon_surprised:

Next is making sure the springs are rated for your weight, if your not around 85kg then you are outa luck :icon_think:

I have put a rebuilt 95 CBR 900RR shock and uprated Eibach spring on the back of mine (~$477AUD) and it made a huge difference and am in the process of replacing the front forks with some 04 XX forks with Ohlins valves that I got at a good price (~$435AUD) with some uprated Sonic Fork Springs (~$125AUD) :icon_biggrin:

Some of the guys on OzBB have replaced the front forks with RC51/SP1 USD forks which also entails delinking the brakes but apparently gives a lot better performance but costs like $2500-$3000AUD (+ your labour) :icon_eek:

I believe Warchild has put the Traxxion cartridges in his BB forks and they apparently make a huge difference but are ~$2000USD :icon_think:

They have also put either Ohlins, Penske or Wilbur's shocks on the rear which apparently work real well but are like $1500AUD to buy in Aus + fitting, ( ~$1000AUD to order from the US :icon_think: )

So, Ive booked my girl in for a full suspension service.

Any recommendations ??

Yeah get rid of the Pirelli's and put on Michelin's :icon_surprised:

Suspension? Depends how deep your pockets are?

First thing is have you put a "6mm SHIM" on the rear shock? This I reckon is the cheapest improvement you can make to the stock XX suspension :icon_surprised:

Next is making sure the springs are rated for your weight, if your not around 85kg then you are outa luck :icon_think:

I have put a rebuilt 95 CBR 900RR shock and uprated Eibach spring on the back of mine (~$360AUD) and it made a huge difference and am in the process of replacing the front forks with some 04 XX forks with Ohlins valves that I got at a good price (~$365AUD) with some uprated Sonic Fork Springs (~$125AUD) :icon_biggrin:

Some of the guys on OzBB have replaced the front forks with RC51/SP1 USD forks which also entails delinking the brakes but apparently gives a lot better performance but costs like $2500-$3000AUD (+ your labour) :icon_eek:

I believe Warchild has put the Traxxion cartridges in his BB forks and they apparently make a huge difference but are ~$2000USD :icon_think:

They have also put either Ohlins, Penske or Wilbur's shocks on the rear which apparently work real well but are like $1500AUD to buy in Aus + fitting, ( ~$1000AUD to order from the US :icon_think: )

gees....The quote I got was AU$960 to rebuild the front and rear with the correct spring for my weight, rebuild the rear shock and strip/rebuild the front forks with better suited bits etc.

I was thinking of inquiring about an aftermarket ohlins shock but $1500 + fitting is a little out of my price range.

Ill have a chat to the shop tomorrow and see what they recommend.

:icon_biggrin:

I would first try the rear shock shim and Race Tec front springs. See how it works. Perform a 'search' in this forum and you will get a lot of god 'hits' for upgrades. Fresh fluids and tires worked wonders for my '98 bird...

gees....The quote I got was AU$960 to rebuild the front and rear with the correct spring for my weight, rebuild the rear shock and strip/rebuild the front forks with better suited bits etc.

I was thinking of enquiring about an aftermarket Ohlins shock but $1500 + fitting is a little out of my price range.

Fuck buying the shock here in Aus, order one from the US and fit it yourself :icon_surprised: You can order them with the correct weight spring and valved to suit your weight and riding style and fitting the shock is a piece of piss :icon_rolleyes:

I wouldn't really bother getting the stock shock rebuilt as it still only has rebound damping only and changing the spring preload is a pain in the arse trying to adjust those locking rings :icon_think: :icon_wall:

I am in the process of replacing my forks with some 04 XX forks I got that have Ohlins valves but was originally just going to replace springs and oil :icon_surprised:

Just happened to get lucky with the forks :icon_biggrin:

What weight are you as this will depend on whether you need new uprated springs :icon_think:

I was thinking of enquiring about an aftermarket Ohlins shock but $1500 + fitting is a little out of my price range.

Fuck buying the shock here in Aus, order one from the US and fit it yourself :icon_surprised: You can order them with the correct weight spring and valved to suit your weight and riding style and fitting the shock is a piece of piss :icon_rolleyes:

I wouldn't really bother getting the stock shock rebuilt as it still only has rebound damping only and changing the spring preload is a pain in the arse trying to adjust those locking rings :icon_think: :icon_wall:

I am in the process of replacing my forks with some 04 XX forks I got that have Ohlins valves but was originally just going to replace springs and oil :icon_surprised:

Just happened to get lucky with the forks :icon_biggrin:

What weight are you as this will depend on whether you need new uprated springs :icon_think:

Ill need uprated springs as im 6"4' and 110KG

Just had mine done by Terry Hay at Shock Treatment out at Wallacia. Good service, Gold Valves front & rear. They overhauled & set up the 900RR rear I took along as well. Total cost ended up at ~$1200, including RR shock, spring collars to fit spring to shock etc.

Just had mine done by Terry Hay at Shock Treatment out at Wallacia. Good service, Gold Valves front & rear. They overhauled & set up the 900RR rear I took along as well. Total cost ended up at ~$1200, including RR shock, spring collars to fit spring to shock etc.

Mine's in at Teknik racing at Penrith.

They quoted me ~$1250 to completely re-kit the front suspension and rebuild the rear shock. New springs included front and rear to suit my weight.

Also includes removing and re-fitting parts to the bike.

No gold valves though and no aftermarket shock. Just a refresh of the OEM parts.

Mine's in at Teknik racing at Penrith.

They quoted me ~$1250 to completely re-kit the front suspension and rebuild the rear shock. New springs included front and rear to suit my weight.

Also includes removing and re-fitting parts to the bike.

No gold valves though and no aftermarket shock. Just a refresh of the OEM parts.

Sounds a bit rich to me :icon_surprised::icon_whistle:

I spent $40 on egay for a lighter rear spring. I spent $11 at bike bandit for fork seals, and am going down to the shop to get 5wt oil. I will shim the rear 6mm. Pretty much going to book it. I bought the lighter stuff cuz it's mostly a solo bike and I'm 155 lbs. Grand total of $65 or so. All swing bearings inspected and re-greased. Hope it helps my '97 /20,000 mi. I'll update soon.

3/10/8 Got the 5wt oil in the forks and put new seals on. Everything looked good, even the copper and teflon inside the fork. Used bel-ray 5wt and measured at 150mm from the top. Seems like there is a lot more dampening going on now. Almost like it became a progressive travel? Much Bueno :icon_thumbsup: One thing odd, was the fluid I dumped out of one fork was red and the other clear? Some tomfoolery going on I presume. Haven't gotten the rear spring yet, and haven't a chance to test ride. I'll update.

---this thread was hijacked by the one and only shanesublett---

Got the bird back today and its waaaaaay better.

Took a quick run up Springwood road. The thing now corners like its on rails.

Bought new tyres to celebrate. Action Moto are doing a special on Michelin pilot sports fitted for $400.

Gonna give it a real test on thunderbolts way tomorrow :icon_evilgrin:

Bought new tyres to celebrate. Action Moto are doing a special on Michelin pilot sports fitted for $400.

Don't forget, new tires are slick. My new ones are smooth as silk, but are still a little slick when cold. Only 300 miles on them so far. Enjoy the ride!

Personally I don't think they are so much of a bargain as I was quoted $440AUD for a PPf & PR2r with me dropping off the wheels and the Sports HPX's are nowhere near s good a tyre IMHO :icon_surprised:

Well I got to Brisbane OK. Cant say a bad thing about the pilot sports. They`ve done everything I asked of them.

They did start to ball up after the trip through the putty road though...which was a surprise.

While I didnt have any `moments` I feel those tyres arnt 100% suited to the weight of the bird.

The monkey that worked on my bike at Action needs a few lessons though.

He said the tyre pressures he set were 42 each end. It didnt feel right so I tested them and they were 32 front and 37 rear.

Add to that the small gouge mark on my front fender and that $400 is looking not so cheap.

Well I got to Brisbane OK. Cant say a bad thing about the pilot sports. They`ve done everything I asked of them.

They did start to ball up after the trip through the putty road though...which was a surprise.

While I didn't have any `moments` I feel those tyres aren't 100% suited to the weight of the bird.

The monkey that worked on my bike at Action needs a few lessons though.

He said the tyre pressures he set were 42 each end. It didn't feel right so I tested them and they were 32 front and 37 rear.

Add to that the small gouge mark on my front fender and that $400 is looking not so cheap.

Bummer to hear about the damage :icon_evil: They are what Michelin "specify" for a XXBB or Busa but it is more I believe for wear and strength in the centre of the tyres not for handling performance as they are supposed to be "Hyper tourers" not sports bikes :icon_think:

Well just got the suspension finished this arvo and FUCK I wish I had bought a lift like I was going to :icon_wall: :icon_doh:

I cut my spacer to 119mm + the stock washer + supplied washer and the preload ended up around 21.5mm :o

It may be a little stiff but I haven't set sags yet so will see :icon_think:

Noticed a little bit of the springs scraping in the fork tubes :icon_surprised:

I never got that from the OEM springs but I guess once they wear a little and smooth out on the sides of the coils and get impregnated with the oil they should quieten down :icon_eh:

Only got to take it for a short test ride around my general area but felt heaps better just with that short run :icon_biggrin:

The bike weaves side to side and changes direction so much faster now it is amazing :icon_surprised:

Obviously a combination of the new All Balls tapered head bearings ( so much lighter with the front wheel up :icon_surprised:), new forks and stiffer springs and the fact I pushed the forks up 3mm in the triples as well as the new PPf & PR2r tyres :mrgreen:

Just think about going around a corner now and she is turning :icon_biggrin: Will need to take a while to get used to it :icon_think:

Just took it nice and easy around the corners with the new green tyres.

I got the front up a few times to test/bed in the bearings :icon_dance:) , only thing I noticed was I could hear the front tyre chirp when it came down :icon_think:

I am guessing it was because I also put in some new EBC HH pads and they were dragging and slowing the front wheel :icon_think:

Was a little more twitchy as well because I left off the Steering Damper to see what it was like, think I will put it back on as the holes etc are already there and may as well use it particularly now with the forks raised 3mm and the 8mm shim on the shock :icon_biggrin: