CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tank Float to lift the fuel gauge lever

ActionStarCBRxx

I have a 1993 FJ1200 made by Yamaha (no comments please :icon_silenced: ) I am replacing the fuel tank and I pulled the wires to the "fuel sending unit" not sure of the technical name... its the wires that go to the tank the monitors the height of the fuel and sends that lift/drop in fuel height to the fuel gauge.

This "fuel sending unit" has a block off plate that keeps the fuel from spilling out. Attached to the block off plate is a long arm that was attached to a ball that floats. The ball is too big to pull out through the hole sending unit blocks off and I am having problems getting it out through the gas tank hole... I already pulled the "sending unit and arm" off and the ball is still stuck in side. My thought was to just replace it with another floating object that would be small enough to actually fit through the sending unit.

My concern is that this is immersed in gas so I cant just use a cork or anything that will shred particles through time. Any suggestions?

When the sending unit was loose but not removed, and was attached to the black ball thingy that raises with the gas... It likee it stabbed through the black ball. It took some prying to actually pull the lever out from the ball. It was in there pretty good!

Any help would be apprecaited.

Thanks!

That`s strange! I have an `88 FJ and I had to take the sending unit out to coat the inside of the tank and mine came out no problem. What`s the dimension of the float and I`ll compare it to mine and see if it`s simimlar or someone had swapped it out at some time.

That`s strange! I have an `88 FJ and I had to take the sending unit out to coat the inside of the tank and mine came out no problem. What`s the dimension of the float and I`ll compare it to mine and see if it`s simimlar or someone had swapped it out at some time.

Where did you get the chemical to to coat the tank... or where did you have it done at? This would be a good time to do it while I have the tank off and apart.

I would need to get a picture of the float sending unit and upload it. I scrapped the tank that had the ball in it (with the ball left in it). The tank was damaged on the lines/creases and I know I would not take the time to fix it.