CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ti-Force Installation Question...

DrDyno

Hi All,

I finally installed my new Ti-Force exhaust system and, as you say, the quality of their parts is incredible.

So... I get everything back together and realize that the 4.5" recommended from the front of the muffler to the first mounting band is 5," a half inch too far. I figure "what the hell, a half inch isn't that big a deal." At that point I wasn't going to loosen everything up, jiggle the head pipes back a little and re-tighten... a few of the head studs were not, shall we say, pristine. :icon_rolleyes:

Then, I reinstall the fairing sections and, as I am tightening the last bolts on the right-side fairing, I realize #4 header pipe is smack up against the inside of the fairing. :icon_confused:

So... I am going to have to take everything apart next weekend, loosen the head studs and jiggle it, anyway! :icon_frown:

My questions are:

1. Is that 4.5" muffler measurement critical?

2. On a proper install, how much room should there be between the #4 header pipe and the right-side fairing?

Many thanks in advance of your wisdom filled responses!

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses. However, I'm disappointed in that it seems the "touching the fairing" condition may be a function of TI-Force's design and not the installation. Kinda' pisses me off on a $1,000.00 exhaust system.

I stopped by an Auto Zone and picked up a roll of heat-shield tape. It's designed to cover exposed parts rather than wrapping the pipes. I'll try the loosen-and-jiggle adjustment this weekend, install some heat shield on the inside of the fairing where the #4 pipe is closest to it and report back. I hate the thought of "melting" my Cadillac Pearl paint job!

post-4197-1201093866.jpg

I installed a TiForce system and have no interferences with the fairing. Loosen everything up and push it away from the fairing. If it springs back, tighten it up in stages and use a dead blow or other soft object to coax it over till it stays where you want it.

Thanks, Porter... that's my plan for Saturday!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, took it all apart last weekend... removed the springs, loosened up the header bolts and readjusted everything so #4 pipe clears the right fairing. That left about 1/16" clearance between the inside pipes and the oil pan and about 1/16" between the two 2-into-1 collectors.

The #4 pipe now comes closest to the inside curve of the little vent at the front corner of the fairing. I applied some thermal protection tape in that area, put it all back together and went for a ride.

The noise is only slightly louder at idle and cruising speeds than my Jardine slip-ons were but... when you get on it and pass through 6,000 RPM.. the bike virtually HOWLS! It's one of those combinations of noise and thrust that's positively addicting! What an incredible experience!!

A thousand bucks is a lot of money for a set of pipes but... MAN!... am I glad I took the plunge!

HIGHLY recommended!! :icon_thumbsup: