CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Lube

RC Randy

Been using the Honda HP lube for many years, and now that it is discontinued, anyone know of a comparable replacement? The best quality for me was how clean, and the no fling off of the Honda lube. It was very light, and didn't dry to the heavy grease of some of the others I had tried.

Motorex 622 in the green spray can. Good stuff....

Apply every 300 to 500 miles depending on road conditions and clean your chain with generous amounts of WD-40 every 1200 to 1500 miles. This gives me about 25K to 30K miles out of a good chain with moderately aggressive riding habits.

I originally used 80W/90W gear oil as recommended in the Honda owner's manual. cleaned off with WD40, dry, squirt gear oil in my hand and run chain through it. it got messy and stinky...

I now use Maxima Chain Wax. smells a lot lot cosmoline. i ride it to work to heat up the chain, spray it on, and begin my day whilst it soaks in. 16K miles with no signs or sounds of odd wear other than normal chain stretch.

I got my XX with about 15K miles. Since then, I've been using a DuPont spray that incorporates teflon. I also get the chain warm, then apply and let it set. I'm at about 22K mikes, and the chain has some tight spots. It's impossible to tell whether the DuPont stuff wasn't good, or if during the first 16K the chain wasn't very well cared for.

Hmmm.

I got my XX with about 15K miles. Since then, I've been using a DuPont spray that incorporates teflon. I also get the chain warm, then apply and let it set. I'm at about 22K mikes, and the chain has some tight spots. It's impossible to tell whether the DuPont stuff wasn't good, or if during the first 16K the chain wasn't very well cared for.

Hmmm.

22k is about right for a chain. Start looking for a replacement.

I got my XX with about 15K miles. Since then, I've been using a DuPont spray that incorporates Teflon. I also get the chain warm, then apply and let it set. I'm at about 22K mikes, and the chain has some tight spots. It's impossible to tell whether the DuPont stuff wasn't good, or if during the first 16K the chain wasn't very well cared for.

Hmmm.

Interesting :icon_think: I have a EK50 ZVX chain and AFAM sprockets on my XX and they have just hit 34000km (since I bought the bike - they were already on there although the PO said they were fairly new) :icon_surprised:

I have been fairly haphazard with regards lubing the chain (usually ~every 1000-1500km or so) due to the amount of km's I do commuting and she is still in the green zone although nearing the replace section :icon_surprised:

Most of the time I have just used these little tubes of Castrol Chain Oil that I was given with the bike, it is like a light engine oil and has been OK although I have started to get a couple of tight links recently but a good spray of Penetrene loosens them up for a while and some 15w50 is working of although it does fling a bit :icon_surprised:

I think I will stick with the EK/AFAM combo but fit a Scottoiler before I replace them and will hopefully get a longer life out of the chain :icon_think:

Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube

Very little fling off if applied as per directions, lasts a long time.

Going to try the Bel Ray. Just ordered some from Ron Ayers. If you need anything, they have their free shipping thru December on everything they sell. Great prices on OEM parts. Thanks

Hmmm.

-----------------------

+1 that is exactly when mine began failing.

Yeah, I saw this coming... The Honda was the absolute best stuff I tried... The blue can stuff with white graphite...

I replaced my DID ZVM2 at 27,000 miles, after the FIRST time I had to adjust it... In hind-sight I wish I had waited longer, because it had not hardly stretched at all. I used the Honda stuff every 250 or 300 miles, or every 2 tanks of gas on the interstate (450 miles) if the weather was good... Ride all year round, and never once cleaned the chain. Keep in mind that they use a combination of sand and salt on the roads here in the winter. The Honda stuff doesn't fling, sticks on VERY well, lubricates VERY well, and most of all, DOES NOT attract dirt... The JP1 label worked as well, but attracted a TON of dirt.

I saw this coming, and when everybody else was buying out the Honda Polish, I purchased (12) cans of the Honda blue can chain lube...

Mike

I clean the chain with kerosene in an old mustard squeeze bottle and let it dry. I then start the bike, drop it into 1st and while it is idleing, I dribble 75W90 rear end lube onto both sides of the chain and some down the center.

After letting it sit for 10 minutes, I start it back up and coat it with Chain Wax.

After another 10 minutes, I go for a ride.

My CBX still has the original chain on it and it is still in the green zone. Of course, the Bird is right at that magic 22k mile point and I am noticing the chain is showing it's age.