CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pilot Road 2 -road test

redwingedblackbird

I just had a Michelin Pilot Road 2 installed on the rear of the redbird

I figured I'd make this topic as a placeholder to edit/add my comments as the mileage goes on it

Installed: Dec 5, 2007

Cost: $200 installed

Mileage & Comment:

10 miles - so far so good, seems like a responsive profile

200 miles - rode out of town to curvyland, scrubbed and carved conservatively for a few runs, confidence grew with each run, took several turns at higher speed and no chicken strips left (I'm stoked about this tire, reminds me of the pilot power on a bud's Gixxer) heard its supposed to rain this weekend, I'll get it out in the wet stuff and see how those deep rain channels do their thing. (yea I'm riding and its december, I suck.)

500 miles - rode to and from work all last week and this week (relatively cold in the mornings, decent in the afternoon)

hit some surprise dirt in a corner on a simple left turn on the way home today, she slid a bit and then hooked back up nicely,

predictable is the best word to sum it up. Been doing some lane leaning and weaving to feel most of the tire from side to side.

the rain performance a week ago was really no biggie, it rode well, didn't slide unless I braked hard on the wet stuff. (sidenote) Today a guy at work with a Harley, bitched about the center of his Metzler going square too soon, looked at his tire.. yep, its not round-ish anymore - he needs to carve more often I think :)

750-1000 miles - Did a 250mile day tour on New years day, froze my ass off in the morning.

Lots of wide open roads into some fast sweepers, this tire is allowing me to learn what I don't like about my suspension

Did several high speed runs up and down south mountain here in Phoenix the other day, super curvy place that makes for a fun afternoon. The profile of the tire is allowing me to flick/throw the bird quite easily with high confidence during hard leaning carves, and higher speed exits. I recall riding this same route a few times on the former bridgestone tire and it is a night and day difference in bike feel, confidence, etc. I talked with a guy recently that runs Pilot Powers on his bird and since he rides low miles he prefers to ride a bit softer compound. Each to their own... At this point I'm confident in saying that if you are ready for a new rear tire, you might just wanna try the PR 2.

I'd be very interested in hearing a comparison from someone that moves from a Pirelli Diablo Strada to the PR2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading a lot about how good these tires were of late. There was an independent test(sorry no link) that showed it to be the best fo the sport touring tires in the dry and the wet with great mileage. I plan to put them on my Bird and C 14 next. Keep letting us know how these are wearing if possible.

Thanks,

Brian

I have been reading a lot about how good these tires were of late. There was an independent test(sorry no link) that showed it to be the best fo the sport touring tires in the dry and the wet with great mileage. I plan to put them on my Bird and C 14 next. Keep letting us know how these are wearing if possible.

Thanks,

Brian

It looks like the new Dunlop Roadsmart will be the one to beat in the sports/touring section. Several comparison tests have concluded it to be the best choice, beating or equalling all other competitors in all testsegments. I have mounted them on my bird to test them next spring (not riding now....).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Brian

It looks like the new Dunlop Roadsmart will be the one to beat in the sports/touring section. Several comparison tests have concluded it to be the best choice, beating or equalling all other competitors in all testsegments. I have mounted them on my bird to test them next spring (not riding now....).

Care to let us in on the reviews... need to replace my old worn out avons thninking either michs or dunlops. Don't get me wrong I liked the Avons, but time or a change.

redwinged.... how about a new update, thinkng Mich Pilot Road 2

have had em for a while now and LOVE em. they do seem to break loose for a split second when i drop it into 1st at 30+ a little more than my old rubber (i dunno what they were). it seems im barking the rear tire almost every time now. oh... no chicken strips here.

Thanks,

Brian

Care to let us in on the reviews... need to replace my old worn out avons thninking either michs or dunlops. Don't get me wrong I liked the Avons, but time or a change.

redwinged.... how about a new update, thinkng Mich Pilot Road 2

I only have Dutch reviews, since I am a dealer on the Dutch market.

Sorry to be so late with the reply, but I am no longer getting any e-mails telling me somebody replied to a topic......

I'm curious how the more ex$pen$sive PR 2 will stack up to some of the other "standard" XX tires (Road, Z6, Strada) and also the new Bridgestone BT-021, from a grip and mileage to $$ standpoint...

In my case, I loved the Z6 for grip/mileage, and am loving the even cheaper BT-021 right now. Z6 would get me ~6K miles, 021 looks like it'll last roughly the same..

For me, the PR 2 will have to grip very well AND last like 7500 miles on the XX to justify the cost...

bpg: Concours 14 come stock with 021's on them. From what I am reading on other forums they are not a good tire in the rain - some even call them dangerous. Dry they are good. As for longevity from a report I read (sorry no link) The PR2's are supposed to be superior in grip, mileage, handling etc. I don't have enough miles on mine yet to make a decision.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I put a set of Michelin 2CT's on my Blackbird two weeks ago. They seem excellent for feedback for what few times I have been riding lately. I have ran Bridgestone, Pirelli, Dunlop, etc. I never seem to get more than 3000 miles no matter what brand or type. Looking forward to seeing how many miles I get from these tires. I bet the same as the others.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm interested to see how the PR2's compare.

Anybody have opinions on the PR2's

Yeah they are fucking pieces of shit :icon_surprised:

They are great until 7000km then they get really flat spotted :icon_surprised:

Or maybe it was something to do with the 3" nail :icon_rolleyes::icon_whistle: :icon_doh: :icon_sad:

The PR2 was going really good actually until this :icon_sad:

post-2722-1203653189.jpg

post-2722-1203653204.jpg

post-2722-1203653274.jpg

post-2722-1203653303.jpg

bpg: Concours 14 come stock with 021's on them. From what I am reading on other forums they are not a good tire in the rain - some even call them dangerous. Dry they are good. As for longevity from a report I read (sorry no link) The PR2's are supposed to be superior in grip, mileage, handling etc. I don't have enough miles on mine yet to make a decision.

Brian

Yip, I read/heard that the FRONT BT021's aren't that great on heavier ST bikes like the Bird/Busa on up.. I still run a Metz M1 up front with the BT021 out back - ride in the rain all the time with no issues!!

I have 5K on the rear BT021 now, looks like it will at least make it to 6K, which will be an improvement (cost per mile) compared to the 6K I was getting from the Metz Z-6 rear, since the Z6 was more expensive.

FWIW, I've never had reason to fault the grip or handling of the BT021 rear / M1 front combo while running with fancy-schamncy Ducati "S" editions in the western Carolina mountains!!