CBR1100XX.org Forum

cush drive

lexxus

rear_wheel.bmp

It's number 25 there are four parts numbered 2-2-2-2

It's more of a dampener. their made of rubber that gives as you apply force to the rear sprocket. They helps keep the chain from jerking the bike and keep the rear sprocket bolts from being sheered off (to reduce driveline lash). Sometimes they will wear and feel sloppy or they will start dry rotting but most the time people change them because the small piece of band will break that hold two of the pieces togather. This break in the band will not effect the performance at all. at least not on my bike.

Don, the cush drive is, as others have stated, the rubber dampers that provide a bit of cushion between the engine drive chain and the wheel...making on/off throttle transitions less abrupt, and helping to prevent the tire from breaking traction, either upon acceleration or deceleration.

Like any piece of rubber, they'll eventually wear out, either abrading so that they are visibly smaller, and don't fill up the space provided, or becoming hardened and no longer supplying good damping. If you have a LOT of rubber shreds inside your hub, the dampers don't fit snugly, or are super hard, chances are they're worn out and should be replaced. They are a dealer only part. If you order them, don't order them individually (41241-MAT-000), but as a set (06410-MAT-E00)...they're a lot cheaper that way.

Thanks for all the help with this, I will check the condition of the cush drives during all the winter projects i have going on,Installing the engine the biggest.