CBR1100XX.org Forum

A little help here, please?

BigMig

I got up this morning and with the dry weather here in Eastern PA, decided to dust off the 2000 XX. Current temperature about 45 degrees. When I started the bike, it hesitated slightly before cranking over. I warmed it up for a couple of minutes and rode off on my way to work. Since it was a little slow to start, I rode at slightly higher RPMs, thinking that it might charge the battery faster. About 10 minutes into the commute, I stopped and got cash at an ATM.

When I went to restart, there was no cranking, just a slow half crank. Big bummer. The headlight was pretty bright, and I wished I could turn the headlight off, but I don't think it would have made much difference. So I tried bumping it in the bank parking lot, but my skinny ass couldn't get enough momentum in the lot.

Fortunately, there was a good downgrade about a block away, so I pushed over there and got a good bump start and I rode home (10 minutes back) and parked in the unheated garage.

I walked out and for the heck of it, I tried the electric start - and it started. Whaaaa?

I think it's the original 2000 battery. So do I need a new battery. or might i have an alternator problem? If I need a battery, is there an alternative to the local dealers? With this beautiful weather, I don't want to give up much time waiting for a new battery.

THANKS!

M

Sounds like the cold did it, which means its the battery. You can buy one from Walmart, but it's a crap shoot. I've heard people getting 3 years out of them, some people get less than a year out of theirs. Mine lasted a little better than a year. Then I bought one off of ebay for even less money than the Walmart one, and it's been in there about 3 years, even through an episode of a regulator taking a dump, then the stator taking a dump, killing the battery both times. Must be a pretty good battery!

7 years on a battery? I think you got lucky. If you stay with the Yausa, call around. The prices vary wildly for the same battery. Keep in mind the 12 AH (stock) and the 14 AH (st 1300) are exactly the same size. I've also had good luck with Interstate Batteries in all my vehicles. Seems like the Interstate battery was $73 while the Yausa's varied from $120-$150 depending on the store. Invest in a Battery Tender, especially if the bike sits a while. You can buy online for $34 for the Battery Tender plus. (I wouldn't get the Jr.)

The price of batteries makes no sense. Why would a giant battery for a diesel truck cost the same as a tiny motorcycle battery?

The price of batteries makes no sense. Why would a giant battery for a diesel truck cost the same as a tiny motorcycle battery?

Cost of manufacture and distribution.

BigMig....buy yourself a battery charger...you need one anyway. Keep that battery topped up at night and you'll probably be fine for another months riding. Then replace the battery in the spring. No sense replacing the battery and having it sit for 4-5 months over the winter.

Your XX alternator isn't strong like a car alternator, and your bike's cost of doing business (headlight, injection system) is similar to that of a car. Imagine even a compact car with that battery in it...its not farfetched. So that battery has some different charging characteristics than a full-sized battery. Get it charged up full but slowly, and it should take care of you until riding season is over. And if you find yourself in a bad situation, you can easily reach up in under the fairing and pull the headlight plugs off the bulbs (remember low beam is the upper one). If I anticipate high drain situations, I make sure the bike is in neutral and push the starter button before turning on the key......that prevents the headlight from coming on at all and gives the starter all the cranking power the battery can muster at first crack.

Cost of manufacture and distribution.

But.........there's much more raw materials in the big battery. they both have the same number of parts, there is no hi-tech science to little batteries, and a delivery truck can certainly carry many more motorcycle batteries than truck batteries. I think it's like womens shoes, charge what the market will bear.

Any time something is targeted for a motorcycle only sale the price goes up. Look at the oil filters honda charges somewhere around 10 bucks but I buy the purolator for about $4. They just seem to think it is worth more for a m\c.