CBR1100XX.org Forum

Multistrada electrical woes

therubberjungle

Hey All,

I was discussing an electrical problem with a friend/coworker of mine and I told him I'd post it here 'cause you guys know just about everything that's important in life, including Italian motorcycle quirks :) I know this isn't BB related but it's an interesting problem so here goes:

He has a new (June) 2007 Ducati Multistrada S that has an intermittent electrical problem.

Occasionally, after a ride (long or short), he will turn off the bike. When he tries to restart it nothing happens except for the electric fuel pump activating to prime the system. The dash displays nothing. Last time this happened he checked the battery with his multimeter: 12 volts.

If he allows the bike to sit for a while it will fire up with no hesitation.

His local Duck dealer is not resolving this problem; they had his bike for three weeks and found nothing. He is riding it now but does not turn off the motor until he arrives back home.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this matter.

Cheers,

Rod

That is precisely why I would be very hesitant to own Ducati or for that matter any other Euro bike.For some reason this kind of voodoo problems don`t happen on Japan bikes.

Don`t Ducatis have "common rail" electrical wiring were components are turned on/off by the impulse from ECU ?

You`ll have better luck on Duc forums,it is not uncommon I guess.I know of two Ducks that refused to restart after lunch with no worrning whatsoever.

Thanks tomek,

I've searched the Ducati forums to no avail. They seem to break down lots of other ways but not in this particular way.

I simply don't know enough about electrical/electronic wizardry to be of much help to my friend on this one. That's why I ride a '97 BB: Honda reliability, baby! (except for the RR and cam-chain lifter :icon_confused: )

I'll post up if-and-when I find an answer for this.

Cheers,

Rod

Need to prove if the signal from the starter switch is hot and going out to the starter solonoid. A led light connected to the switch side of the solonoid and to ground. When you hit the switch it should light. If it doesn't it might be in the switch. I have seen it be in the side stand switch and the clutch switch if in gear.

vom's are your friend.

(volt ohm meters)

• 4 weeks later...