CBR1100XX.org Forum

Swapping front forks

Para045

Just wondering about whether FI XX forks can be used on a carbed XX? I was under the belief that they were identical except for the internal valving is that correct?

Just wondering about whether FI XX forks can be used on a carbed XX? I was under the belief that they were identical except for the internal valving is that correct?

The external dimensions of the fork tube assemblies are identical for all the years, and can therefore be swapped year to year. The internals between the early and late models are different. I'm not sure if the parts are interchangeable...haven't tried it. I know the bushings are different. Make sure you change the fork oil before installing them on the bike.

Make sure you change the fork oil before installing them on the bike.

Whoa big fella, I'm pretty sure that 97/98 XX fork oil is not compatible with the FI fork oil. However I've heard that Buell fork oil works great.

:icon_biggrin:

The external dimensions of the fork tube assemblies are identical for all the years, and can therefore be swapped year to year. The internals between the early and late models are different. I'm not sure if the parts are interchangeable...haven't tried it. I know the bushings are different. Make sure you change the fork oil before installing them on the bike.

No worries - I did after a bit of searching find a thread which confirmed the above, I have a line on a set of 04 forks with Ohlins valves and am thinking of swapping them over as the existing ones are quite tatty on the lowers and the seal on one has started leaking :icon_wall: I already have some uprated fork springs to go in and will try a lighter weight oil as well ( maybe 7.5w) :icon_think:

You can use a set of F4I internals which will give you preload & rebound adjustment. Use either springs or aftermarket & cut the spacer for the correct ride heighth.

I used F3 internals in my VFR. Made a terrific difference in the handling & ride. Of course when you do this, it upsets the balance between the front & rear suspension, so you then have to change the rear shock....