CBR1100XX.org Forum

drilling the stock cans?

Echo

input. i have a drill and an itch.

I vote no! Interesting vid for sure. Other than ruining the pipes for future sale (of course mine are still on the shelf) they do sound pretty interesting.

What itch is it that you have? Make it louder? Faster? Throttle Response? There are better ways but they cost. I bet you get worse performance although not all that noticable but it will sound different.

Once you drill it, it's useless in my book.

Get a Two Bro's or Yosh, Akra......etc. and yeah you'll spend some money but you'll turely gain HP, throttle response and HP. 2cent

i have $16.00 in cash and probably another $3.00 in my change jar at home.

i have a NEW $150,000 house.

i miss the noise I made with no pipes. I had to put pipes on to save heads.

its free or nothing and im sick of nothing... im gonna drill!

i miss the noise I made with no pipes.

You're probably the only one.

If you're into pointless noise, then by all means go for it. Did I mention it's irreversible?

I did it to a set , they suck, no really suck, theres a whistle now..

I guess I fucked it up butt I figured WTF I'll just drill out the holes how bad could it be.

well its bad and I fucked up a good set of oem's.

:icon_redface:

There are a couple of guys on here and cbrxx.com that have drilled their pipes but most say just to drill the large hole and not the small ones as it then sounds like an exhaust with a hole in it whereas the large hole gives a slightly deeper not and just a little more volume but only when you rev it hard :icon_surprised:

This is something I am thinking of doing as well as I can't justify the $$$ on a new system purely for noise/note :icon_surprised:

I drilled mine two ways and really like the sound.

First I took a 1.25 hole saw with a long extension and went straight down the pipe. The sound is deep, throaty, and not very loud. A real improvement over stock but won't wake the neighbors.

I never liked that there were "fake" holes at the end of the stock cans so I took a 1/4 inch drill like the guy in the video. The sound is different because of the many sources and can be loud under full throttle. There is a nice raspy burrble at idle and when you engine brake. I like it.

The combination is simular to the video if you turned the bass way up.

I had my bike on the dyno on a 90+ hot summer day and got a honest 135rwhp. The guy said that was the most from a blackbird at their shop and the torque curve was flat "like all bikes should be, don't touch a thing".

i miss the noise I made with no pipes.

You're probably the only one.

If you're into pointless noise, then by all means go for it. Did I mention it's irreversible?

I did it to a set , they suck, no really suck, theres a whistle now..

I guess I fucked it up butt I figured WTF I'll just drill out the holes how bad could it be.

well its bad and I fucked up a good set of oem's.

:icon_redface:

If you got a whistle it may be from rough edges or the holes were too small. If at first you don't succeed....

Punch the center through to the same diameter.

Don't do the other holes!

I'm still enjoying it this way, sounds great and releases more power.

With my ignition advancer, warmed up jetting, and bored out mufflers I dynoed this spring at 147 HP.

I even punched through my KLX650 the same way and it improved the power.

Are all OEM exhausts made this way?

outers drilled to 1/4 and inner punched... with a long ratchet extension and a 6lb sledge. we used the ratchet extension because I couldnt find any rebar. dispite the obvious rape it sounds MUCH better and not all that loud. better than I had hoped for and it was FREE!!! MWAHAHAHAH!

input. i have a drill and an itch.

hehehe... You found the video I made. And yeah, this is the forum I made the info-video for. :icon_smile:

OK, so I am very pleased with my drilled out pipes. The first thing I would recommend is to start by getting a 1 1/4" hole saw (not a damn iron bar with a sharp point you animals...) on a long extension and drill through the resonator wall and the mesh baffle (this part was NOT included in my silly video. I drilled down it's throat after I posted the video). If you want more noise, then use a 9/16" bit (after a well placed pilot hole of course) to drill out the decorator holes at the end. And yes, if you puss out and leave them 1/4" or 3/8" they sound like a very big minibike. Second recommendation: I would stop at 1/2" if I were to do it again as 9/16" takes out too much of the beveled edge on the useless-but-pretty holes.

What did this buy me??? 1) More sound - it's fun to go under bridges! 2) Mildly better mileage - I gained almost 2mpg. 3) I saved $500-$1000 by not falling for the silly and negligible claims of 2-5hp from "aftermarket" pipes. If I lose the weight I need to, I can gain an equivalent 7HP, keep $1000 in my pocket, and get all the benefits of not being a fat-ass.

I will try to update the video soon to show the added tone from the 1-1/4" holes down the middle...

The first thing I would recommend is to start by getting a 1 1/4" hole saw (not a damn iron bar with a sharp point you animals...) on a long extension and drill through the resonator wall and the mesh baffle (this part was NOT included in my silly video. I drilled down it's throat after I posted the video).

Yeah that is what I am going to do, I have the extension and hole saw now just need to get around to doing it :icon_surprised: