CBR1100XX.org Forum

Broken side fairing

Justin

I had a tree branch fall on the side of my bike, and it broke the fairing where the big bolt holds it on top. I don't really care about it cosmetically, but I need to fix it so my fairing can be attached. I don't have pic yet, but basically it broke a 5-6 inch ring of plastic off around the bolt. Would jb-weld work to reattach that piece to the fairing and be strong enough to hold? I have used jb weld a lot in the past, but thought i'd check with the experts here. Other option... plastic welding, anyone know of any places in the Denver area that does it? Or a place I could send it out to?

I have seen people rave about Plasticweld, but I think they are a right coast company.

JB weld is good stuff, but if I were using it, I would lay in some window screen, or fiberglass drywall tape to give a little more structure.

I think evilxx (Eric) is close and has a welder. If you want to send it to me I can fix if you have all the pieces. Just pay for shipping.

Well thanks, I may take you up on that offer ... when you say evilxx has a welder, do you mean a plastic welder?

Yep... Bob, aka "Plasticweld" on many forums, of www.empiregp.com is a good friend of mine. He does great work at honest prices. I would definately say send it to him if you already didn't have a hook up here. And yes.. he is in western NY, where the roads are twisty and gorgeous and the cops leave you alone... unlike the Gap lately.

I think evilxx (Eric) is close and has a welder. If you want to send it to me I can fix if you have all the pieces. Just pay for shipping.

Well thanks, I may take you up on that offer ... when you say evilxx has a welder, do you mean a plastic welder?

yes, same as mine, although my technique is stronger, well i don't know that, but I think that.

I am not in the business, so let Bob do it, he is.

That did not come out right,,I am pretty busy and will be for a while, so if Eric can't, or is to busy, it would be faster and you would be guaranteed a good and faster and a fair price with Bob.

Or buy one and learn,

like mine

edited twice, and should start over

Not that minimize the efforts that Eric and Stan both put forth for our members, but I'd just like to take the opportunity to say that Bob does a real fine job for us, both in the quality of work and pricing. He is also willing to do estimates from pictures for us, which is a real plus. Just email a couple decent pics to the sales address on his website with a brief explanation of what you want. Be sure to mention we sentcha.