CBR1100XX.org Forum

Full titanium dual high side exhaust - prototype/idea stage

redwingedblackbird

So I have been reading years of posts and investigating various product offerings over the past few days.

Just so happens that I have some solid connections in the titanium industry

and also in production shops that could turn out whatever silly shit I can dream up.

I have seen a few pics of birds that are carrying highside exhausts. Some are well-known product, others less so or home grown.

Seems that Akropovic makes a full titanium set that is a single-side lower style and thats great... BUT

I just like the pics I have seen of the dual highside setups (Mig and Renegade flavors)

So, since I seem to have just way too much free time to think about this lately, I'm gonna put the idea out to ya'll:

What would be your design criteria be for a dual highside, end to end, full titanium exhaust system? "Have to have" and "nice to have" type of criteria

I'm thinking that ceramic coating inside and out will be standard, and perhaps an option, since I live down the road from the Arizona HPC Coatings faciity.

(to move heat thru the pipes past the radiator, past your boots, and out the back as smoothly as possible, radiating as little heat as possible along the way)

At this point, I am specifically asking for feedback about the design criteria for the header and the highside midpipe

Have to probably make up a good custom map for the PCIII users as well to get the maximum benefit

I'm not interested in making a business out of this at all. I do well enough at the day job.

I want to make a great exhaust for my BB and if others want the same thing or something thereabouts, to me, its just incrementally more material and labor, if this concept proceeds to a production stage.

There are a plethora of can options... and I'm thinking those can be designed for attachment with some effort.

SS, Titanium, Carbon, Rainbows, colors, round, oval, dodecahedron, etc... whatever turns your crank I suppose.

If you are interested in this type of thing, then maybe kick in some design criteria, and maybe, I'll get it prototyped and produced someday.

thanks. :)

Designing your own full exhaust system is no small feat.

Trust me on that one.

As some poeple here already know, I've been working on makeing my own exhaust system for over a year now, I've made a few systems out of mild steal and tested them for performance on a Dyno.

Basically I'm still not done yet.

So as far as giving you any specific design critia... well that's gonna have to wait until after I get my current system project built and tested.

Then.... we might just have to have some very serious conversations.

I def. like ur idea, I might be interested also depending on price of course.

What about a X shape collector.Here is how it would go :

---------- I I I I ---------------- ( headers)

----------- II II -------------

------------- X ----------------- (X collector 2>1 pair)

------------- I I ------------------ (2 out)

Seems that Akropovic makes a full titanium set that is a single-side lower style and thats great... BUT

Akra does not make a full ti system. Only TSR, TiForce, and Moriwaki manufacture such a system. Others advertise as titanium, but are only the sleeve on the can. The headers are all stainless steel.

What is your purpose with this system? Just to maintain a dual, high mount setup, or for maximum power benefit?

If you're just going for the dual high mounts, buy a Hindle system, IMO.

I was under the impression they no longer made highmounts for the XX. My thought would be to copy whoever made the nicest, most effective system and crank a few out for those interested. (I'd be interested)

Unless you're just a nice guy with a desire to build something, I would seriously look into the business considerations of building a complete exhaust system for a motorcycle that is no longer manufactured. Your marketing possibilities are extremely limited. You have a limited number of customers, many of whom already have an aftermarket exhaust system.

If you still want to try.......

Your best bet would be to design new mid pipes that connect to an existing aftermarket header. (such as akro, or yosh) That way, all you need to build is a pipe from the collector that splits in two and can connect to existing aftermarket silencers. You add in a stop on the left hand pipe for the center stand, and now you have a 4 to 1 to 2 system without the restrictions of the stock header pipes.

-

It seems that the only company that is currently selling a dual highside setup is Renegade

Hindle's website doesn't list the part number anymore for a highside setup

(update: A call to Hindle by Street&Comp confirms that they DO still sell and make the highside slip on SS tubes)

and it sounds as if Mig is out of business. I don't know of any others on the market.

If TiForce made a setup similar to the renegades, I'd buy it, simple.

I'll call them on it and see what they have to say.

In lieu of that happening, I'll roll my own setup.

My starting design criteria:

1. I like the way a dual highside looks. (appearance)

2. A highside mount adds clearance and tucks behind the passenger footpeg. (function)

3. I want the entire exhaust to be titanium end to end. (weight reduction)

4. Horsepower equal to or better than stock, any increase is good. (performance)

5. I want to isolate and evacuate heat so ceramic coating inside/outside (heat management)

Doesn't seem unreasonable criteria to me... thats debateable.

RodeRash -

I totally agree that using a currently manufactured header is the way to go.

No need to re-invent that piece of the puzzle.

Doesn't seem to be many options for a titanium header so probably start with the assumption of using a TiForce header and design backwards from there.

I am approaching this as a hobbyist that wants his exhaust setup a particular way.

and if others are looking for the same thing, thats cool, we can collaborate.

If and when I have a final version made up, I'd have the shop make up a build pattern/jig so duplicates could be produced to spec, which makes it a simple materials and labor proposition to anyone else that wants the same setup. I'm not interested in selling these things to turn a buck.

Northman -

Ahh.. I confused Akro and TiForce when I was typing this last night, I stand corrected, thanks.

Hell,

I'd be happy as a clam just for some polished Ti mid pipes for my Two Bro's slip on's that would make them High mounts. They don't even need to be polished, but most anything would be better than the rotating mid pipes that Two Brothers utilizes. As for your idea on the ceramic coating on various sections ( internally) of the system, I have no advise for you on that matter. I have no idea where advantages could be found if you were to only coat the mid pipe for instance versus the entire system. That's a long trial and error experiment. Too bad you are not in S. Florida and in need of a test mule bike. I seem to ride so infrequently now and days.

-

My starting design criteria:

1. I like the way a dual highside looks. (appearance)

2. A highside mount adds clearance and tucks behind the passenger footpeg. (function)

3. I want the entire exhaust to be titanium end to end. (weight reduction)

4. Horsepower equal to or better than stock, any increase is good. (performance)

5. I want to isolate and evacuate heat so ceramic coating inside/outside (heat management)

Doesn't seem unreasonable criteria to me... thats debateable.

RodeRash -

I totally agree that using a currently manufactured header is the way to go.

No need to re-invent that piece of the puzzle.

Doesn't seem to be many options for a titanium header so probably start with the assumption of using a TiForce header and design backwards from there.

I would love to have a set of high pipes with a splitter that would connect to my Yosh RS-3 header. I would even be interested in slip-ons for the stock header. Carbon cans are my preference.

The first time I saw a BB with the MIG pipes, I asked the owner where I could get a set and he said they were out of business. That's like meeting the women of your dreams and then finding out she's a nun. You might still be able to score, but it's going to cost ya. If you've ever seen used MIG pipes on EBay, you know what I mean.

What ever you come up with, I will most likely still be interested.

I was under the impression they no longer made highmounts for the XX. My thought would be to copy whoever made the nicest, most effective system and crank a few out for those interested. (I'd be interested)

TFT-

I spoke with Street & Competition (518-279-4598) a few minutes ago,

they were kind enough to call Hindle to verify that they DO indeed still manufacture

and have the SS high mount slip-on tubes for $379.99, the cans are extra and come in the usual flavors.

That is as of today. Oct. 5, 2007

• 2 weeks later...