CBR1100XX.org Forum

Thinking about installing an oil pressure and temp sensor

TuffguyF4i

I work for a sensor company and one of our new dual output products, reads pressure and temperature. Heres my question. Where would be the best place on the engine to get a pressure reading? The smallest thread diameter i can buy is 1/8NPT. Should i put a T fitting on an oil line and simply 'tap' off of that? Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to simply drill and tap the oil pan. But would that yeild an accurate reading?

I suppose the only thing i am really interested in is whether there is a drop in pressure.

What could i use to display the pressure and temperature? The sensor is dual output, so i need a display that has two inputs so i can toggle back and fourth. Do they make small automotive displays like this? I can choose a variety of output voltages or 4-20mA.

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

I work for a sensor company and one of our new dual output products, reads pressure and temperature. Heres my question. Where would be the best place on the engine to get a pressure reading? The smallest thread diameter i can buy is 1/8NPT. Should i put a T fitting on an oil line and simply 'tap' off of that? Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to simply drill and tap the oil pan. But would that yeild an accurate reading?

I suppose the only thing i am really interested in is whether there is a drop in pressure.

What could i use to display the pressure and temperature? The sensor is dual output, so i need a display that has two inputs so i can toggle back and fourth. Do they make small automotive displays like this? I can choose a variety of output voltages or 4-20mA.

I put a tee in the connection that the oil pressure sending unit connects to in the block. Ran a machinacal guage for a while. It is 1/8 npt.

On your guage, is it resistance based to ground? If so does it have dual contacts? One for temp and one for pressure? I would like to know the oil temp, as well as the pressure. If it is dual contacts, you might be able to use the pressure for the normal contact to the ecu, but what fun would that be. A guage for both contacts would be nice, and I think there is one with both. 12 volt in and reads what the resistance to ground is, varied .

I want one!

the connection is to the right of the thermostat housing.

There are two industry standards in resitive type instrumentation the US standard is 180-10 ohm and the world is 230-33 ohm. Next more than likley the threads on a Jap bike are not going to be NPT, others are close BSP & etc but you need to pay attention to the proper thread pitch I know it is in the shop manual. Once you do find the appropiate plumbing stay away from brass (to soft for engine vibration) use black iron or even galvy and keep the fittings short to minimize fitigue. In CT you have Faria instrument company which is kinda the VW of the gauge world (low end) but for quality instruments for any application and they will custom build just about anything I use Hoyt in NH.Hoyt

I put a tee in the connection that the oil pressure sending unit connects to in the block. Ran a machinacal guage for a while. It is 1/8 npt.

On your guage, is it resistance based to ground? If so does it have dual contacts? One for temp and one for pressure? I would like to know the oil temp, as well as the pressure. If it is dual contacts, you might be able to use the pressure for the normal contact to the ecu, but what fun would that be. A guage for both contacts would be nice, and I think there is one with both. 12 volt in and reads what the resistance to ground is, varied .

I want one!

No it is not resistance based. It is a splatter film type that reads much like a stress sensor. It has an ASIC chip inside it that provides a linear ouput.

Example:

0-10V output

Calibrated to 0-500 PSI

At 0PSI the output would be 0V

At 250 PSI the output would be 5V

At 500 PSI the output would be 10V

You get the idea, linear.

It has a 4 pin system. Ground, Vin, Vout, Vout2.

Any chance you have a pic of where you installed it?

What do you think about a display? Anything that is dual output?

Thanks!!!!

post-5615-1191264474.jpg

I want one!

No it is not resistance based. It is a splatter film type that reads much like a stress sensor. It has an ASIC chip inside it that provides a linear ouput.

Example:

0-10V output

Calibrated to 0-500 PSI

At 0PSI the output would be 0V

At 250 PSI the output would be 5V

At 500 PSI the output would be 10V

You get the idea, linear.

It has a 4 pin system. Ground, Vin, Vout, Vout2.

Any chance you have a pic of where you installed it?

What do you think about a display? Anything that is dual output?

Thanks!!!!

oh,,oh oh,, I think I have the thing, but your not gonna like it. But I will,,,!!

I have a Innovate lm-1 and it takes 0 to 5 volt input and records it, and send anyone of 5 signals to as many as 5 guages that are programable.

xd 16 is the guage, I have one, 200 each,,,,so damn sure not cheap, esp. when the lm1 is 400 with the wide band o2 sensor.

Wish it would scan through the sensors and show each for a few seconds. I wonder if that might be possible.

Oh , it is 1/8 npt too.....na na poo poo,