CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone ever mess with triple clamp offsets?

rickrad

I was thinking of making some triple clamps witha little more aggressive offset (only 2mm or so) to give the bird a little quicker handling but not to loose the stability. Anyone have the magic numbers?

I was thinking of making some triple clamps witha little more aggressive offset (only 2mm or so) to give the bird a little quicker handling but not to loose the stability. Anyone have the magic numbers?

You are asking for major issues---spend $300 on new linkage--it will help alot more than the offset--I remember dicking with my buddies on his 929---he couldnt get the bike stable over 120MPH (with the "magic" numbers--NOT a good thing

Do you mean like raising your fork tubes???

If so, mine are raised 6mm.

No, offset is the distance from the centerline of the fork tube to the centerline of the shaft. If you make that adjustment shorter it brings the front tire in a little hence making it corner a little sharper.

You are asking for major issues---spend $300 on new linkage--it will help alot more than the offset--I remember dicking with my buddies on his 929---he couldnt get the bike stable over 120MPH (with the "magic" numbers--NOT a good thing

What linkage? The rear shock? All you are doing is raising or lowering the rear end. I'm talking of making it steer a little quicker not lowering it. $300 for linkage? That's insane when I could make my own.

If you raise the rear of the bike, you are decreasing the rake angle and trail figures of the bike. I have mine raised up 7.5mm and it handles great. What Alpha was referring to is a completely redesigned rear shock linkage that offers an increased ride height and a different rising rate. I wouldn't mess with the tripple clamps, unless you want to upset the balance of the bike.

The BlackBird is a nice, smooth, quiet, fast, stable, heavy GT bike. If you want a canyon carver, get a new 1000RR. Why try to make your bike into something that it is not? No matter how much you quicken the steering, you are still dealing with that extra 100-150 pounds.

There are a ton of things that you can do to improve turn-in --all will reduce straight line stability-and could require the fitting of a steering dampner(ala all modern sportbikes)--changing the offset would be the absolute last thing that I would do.

On my bike with the new forks and linkage---most would think that it turns in too quick---for me the "new" limiting factor is the relatively "unpointy" profile of the Sportec front tire--D208GPs would be preferable.

This is what I would try first (assuming you have redone the forks)

1) New rear shock--new linkage--you can use a 929 Dogbone--and copy some TSR plates if you are cheap---but its only $300 from TSR---and really well made stuff---what it will do---the less progressive ratio--rasies the rear end and keep it higher on acceleration---less squat--better hookup--it also keeps the rear higher entering a corner---which maintains better turn in--without the linkage you can kind of get this effect by raising the rear 6mm-21mm (pending on the new sag of the forks)---this helps turn-in but does NOT improve the squat/other over progressive linkage issuses.

2) Dropping the fork tubes limtis ground clearance--NOT good

I am not sure exactly what you want to accomplish--the linkage is NOT ideal for two--up heavy load cruising

Good Luck

I am not sure exactly what you want to accomplish--the linkage is NOT ideal for two--up heavy load cruising

Good Luck

Not really trying to do anything in particular....I'm just bored at work. I can machine triple clamps (I've done a bunch of MX bikes in fact 10 sets for Damon Bradshaw) but I can't bring the bike up and do much else. I am about to tear into the forks since I have a leaker. What are your suggestions on those? I really do value you guys opinions.

Have you ever looked at what Yosh does for Adjustable triple clamps for GSXR's?

They bore the stem hole larger, and have a stem with two disks that are mounted off center. Gives you 6 mm of adjustment each way from stock.

Check out the pics on their web site http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/RK720.asp

Should give you some ideas...

• 1 month later...

Not really trying to do anything in particular....I'm just bored at work. I can machine triple clamps

That would be great. I am trying to find someone to machine a triple tree for my XX to put a pair of RC 51 forks. May be I can help you with your boredom.

I always understood triple clamp offset to be closely tied with the steering head angle; changing one without changing the other could make the machine evil-handling with no performance gain.

I guess I am thinkin that the RC51 forks are the best one available on a Honda bike. I am not sure that the triple from the 954RR will fit there directly. I was thinking that if I go thru that whole deal I might as well but the best fork possible. The biggest problem I find with the stock fork is the lower triple. It is very thin and under hard driving the front is shaking a lot.

I would put valves in the fork something like race tech or what ever but I still would have to do something about the lower triple.

I did find a kit available but the price is a bit of a turn off.

http://www.tsrjp.com/products/parts/catalo...xx&selectNum=12

That kit without the forks and without the new calipers you will need is 1700 US $

I will take the front of the XX apart and see what can fit. The forks from the RR would allready be quite an improvement, if they are easier to fit I might go that way.

I am not sure that the triple from the 954RR will fit there directly

No, it won't, but the 929 will bolt right up and then the rest of the 954 will bolt right onto there.

I have a 929 triple & 954 front end on my XX. I also shortened the forks for drag racing, so you would want to measure fork length to see if it would be lowering your front end, but the 929 triple bolts right on. The 954's have roller bearings, so if you replaced the races you could use a 954 as well. I think it would be worth it since the roller bearings are better, but I don't road race so it wasn't needed for me.

The forks are the same working length (to the triples)---You would need to find a creative way to mount the bars---as the extra 1" of fork tube the XX has ISNT there on the 929/954 forks---something like a really tall version of the heli-bars would work--but they would have to clamp underthe top triple--then do a 90 deg bend up approx 3 " for the whole thing to clear the fairings---not sure what XLIXXR did--but I dont think he need to turn too sharp

The forks are the same working length (to the triples)---You would need to find a creative way to mount the bars---as the extra 1" of fork tube the XX has ISNT there on the 929/954 forks---

I did not measure the RR forks but I am aware that the RC 51 were 1 inch shorter. Match with the bigger diameter of the fork, we can say good bye to the clip on.

The solution that I was thinking of is to put handle bars. This is the option that was made with the kit of RC51 forks. It would be a lot less work to machine just handle bar holder than the whole triple tree.

I will check the site and consider these options.