CBR1100XX.org Forum

Weird electrical problems

spicholy

Well here is what is going on. I am not sure where to start in the diagnosis department.

First off it is a '99 Bird. I installed an HID system in the low beam position. Worked great. Then one day the HID flickers when I turn on the key. That is all. When I start the bike, no HID. High beam works fine. So I ride with the high beam on for a day. Then I went to install a set of flashing LED's on the rear of the bike to complement the taillight. Since the bike has two taillights, I ask the wife if they both activate or only one activates when I pull the front break lever. I do this to see if I it matters which light bulb I tie into. She says I have no break lights! I try the rear pedal. I have break lights, both. So, I order a new swich for the front lever. I now have break lights. Since the starter switch de-activates the lights when starting the engine, I open up the case on the starter button box to see if anything is amiss. All looks fine. So I put in the original bulb in the headlight and it works fine.???? I try to start the bike. No go. It doesn't even click the solenoid. I put the battery on a charger untill it is charged fully. Only takes 15 minutes. Re-install. No luck. All lights work, fuel pump starts up, yet nothing in the starting department.

HELP! I am so confused right now.

You may have damaged or "moved" something inside the starter switch, I would open it up again & test to make sure the contact's inside are working right.

I have a HID headlight also except in the high beam positon & mine will flicker & shut off unless I am cruising at 4k rpm's.

Also check fuses.

Well here is what is going on. I am not sure where to start in the diagnosis department.

First off it is a '99 Bird. I installed an HID system in the low beam position. Worked great. Then one day the HID flickers when I turn on the key. That is all. When I start the bike, no HID. High beam works fine. So I ride with the high beam on for a day. Then I went to install a set of flashing LED's on the rear of the bike to complement the taillight. Since the bike has two taillights, I ask the wife if they both activate or only one activates when I pull the front break lever. I do this to see if I it matters which light bulb I tie into. She says I have no break lights! I try the rear pedal. I have break lights, both. So, I order a new swich for the front lever. I now have break lights. Since the starter switch de-activates the lights when starting the engine, I open up the case on the starter button box to see if anything is amiss. All looks fine. So I put in the original bulb in the headlight and it works fine.???? I try to start the bike. No go. It doesn't even click the solenoid. I put the battery on a charger untill it is charged fully. Only takes 15 minutes. Re-install. No luck. All lights work, fuel pump starts up, yet nothing in the starting department.

Your sure you reassembled the starter switch correctly?

Sorry, did you say something.

I was just staring at your avatar. :icon_biggrin:

I did check fuses and so far they are all good. All the connections in the starter switch have a black coating on the connections. I will have to scrape it off.

Your sure you reassembled the starter switch correctly?

I believe so. I will do it again tomorrow and see. I am out of light and patience now.

I don't think all these things are related.

I would check the switch you took apart to make sure all is good with your reassemble job(pinched/short wire).

Then check the fuse by the starter relay.

other than that, I got nothing

Good luck, keep us posted

Never mind .... I really need to learn to type faster!

99, FI right?

When you turn on the key, does the fuel pump run and prime?

Mine won't when I have bumped the kill switch. Could you have damaged the kill when you had that side apart.

And make sure it's not in gear with the stand down. I've done both. :icon_redface:

99, FI right?

When you turn on the key, does the fuel pump run and prime?

Mine won't when I have bumped the kill switch. Could you have damaged the kill when you had that side apart.

And make sure it's not in gear with the stand down. I've done both. :icon_redface:

O.K. KICK ME IN THE HEAD. BEAT ME WITH A 2X4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so fricking embarrassed!!! :icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface::icon_redface:

It was in gear. I was so flustered I didn't even check that the neutral light was not lit.

I am going to bed now.

I gotta believe that the power for the starter doesn't go through the starter switch. Is there a relay that the switch triggers? You may be able to short the solenoid and see if the starter engages. Just thinking out loud. It's too odd that all this happened when you changed out the HID, If you replace the original bulb does that help? or is more involved? Often weird electrical problems are traced to faulty grounds somewhere.

Good luck, let us know what it was.

I gotta believe that the power for the starter doesn't go through the starter switch. Is there a relay that the switch triggers? You may be able to short the solenoid and see if the starter engages. Just thinking out loud. It's too odd that all this happened when you changed out the HID, If you replace the original bulb does that help? or is more involved? Often weird electrical problems are traced to faulty grounds somewhere.

Good luck, let us know what it was.

I guess I should read ALL the posts before responding. Glad it was simple. Anyway you got lots of good advice. (not from me, sadly.)

• 2 weeks later...
I have HID low and high and if I have my low beam on when pressing te starter nothing happens

When you say nothing happens, do you mean it does not start or the light is not affected?