CBR1100XX.org Forum

Caliper Removal

tofastgt

I'm not clear on which 2 bolts to remove to get the caliper off. According to the shop manual, it says to remove the brake lines, before removing caliper bolts. Does anyone have a picture of which 2 bolts I need to remove to take the caliper off? Also, do I need to replace these bolts or just put some blue loctite on them when reinstalling?

I'm not clear on which 2 bolts to remove to get the caliper off. According to the shop manual, it says to remove the brake lines, before removing caliper bolts. Does anyone have a picture of which 2 bolts I need to remove to take the caliper off? Also, do I need to replace these bolts or just put some blue loctite on them when reinstalling?

More info. Are you removing the calipers completely or are you changing the lines or brake pads, Or just want to remove front or rear wheels? If you need help with your bike we live fairly close, so i could help wit sometime.

I haven't removed the calipers to change the pads, I just pulled the wheels.

Front left caliper, I'm not sure. Right front, remove the two bolts that attach to the fork. Rear caliper slides onto a flange on the swing arm. Remove the rear wheel and it will come off.

Do NOT remove the lines, if you are not planning to bleed the brakes. If you are doing a pad change, put her on the center stand and do the rear. Then install the rear tire, use a jack under the oil pan and SLIGHTLY lift the front. Put a board on the jack to cushion the pan. I have used a C-clamp to push the pistons back in. Push on the OLD pads.

Also the front fender comes off with four bolts. I pulled mine, so I could see better, and so I wouldn't scratch it.

Here comes Mr. Asshole-

Changing the pads should take about ten minutes, and needn't involve removing the calipers, wheels, or any other major components.

If you need help finding the bolts to remove the calipers, I'd suggest you take up Lexxus on his offer of help. I am a huge proponent of doing your own wrenching, but having someone show you once is much better than worrying what you might have done wrong, especially when mucking about with your brakes.

That said, here you go....

85637785.jpg

85637786.jpg

Here comes Mr. Asshole-

Changing the pads should take about ten minutes, and needn't involve removing the calipers, wheels, or any other major components.

+1 On not removing the calipers :icon_surprised: I have only changed the pads once since I got my XX March last year and all I did was push the pistons back in and slip in the new pads :icon_surprised: