CBR1100XX.org Forum

Motion Pro Chain Tool usage question...

testrider

I have a little trouble using the Motion Pro chain tool to rivet the link. I already screwed up a master link. I pressed the side plate on just fine.

I have some questions in this picture:

1) the anvil is on the back against the pin head, correct?

2) now I screwed in the 'A' (red arrow) until it stops against the side plate?

3) now I screwed in the rivet pin 'B'

4) While holding 'C', I keep tightening 'B', until the pin head is flared to the correct measurement, is this correct? Or am I supposed to hold 'A' while tightening 'B'?

Thank you very much for any help!

-mike-

PS: is it better to position it on the rear sprocket like this pic or it doesn't matter?

I position it between the front & rear sprocket on the bottom.

post-891-1189264900.jpg

Depending on the brand of chain, it should be flared out to a specific dimension. The manual states DID=0.217--0.l228, RK=0.219--0.230.

Also, if you use a little high pressure (moly for example)lube in the dimple in the pin and on the tip of the tool it will help in not developing cracks in the flared pin ends---see the manual for what that will look like.

You also don't to get the side plate stacked too tight or it will cause a bind and part of the smoothness of the Bird will be gone. I know this from experience----shit.

Hope this helps----happy trails kel

Depending on the brand of chain, it should be flared out to a specific dimension. The manual states DID=0.217--0.l228, RK=0.219--0.230.

Also, if you use a little high pressure (moly for example)lube in the dimple in the pin and on the tip of the tool it will help in not developing cracks in the flared pin ends---see the manual for what that will look like.

You also don't to get the side plate stacked too tight or it will cause a bind and part of the smoothness of the Bird will be gone. I know this from experience----shit.

Hope this helps----happy trails kel

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. However, which position is the correct

position to stake the pin, pic 1 or pic 2?

Thanks again.

It's a counterintuitive pain in the ass the first time you use it, isn't it? Hopefully my recent experience will be somewhat helpful:

Yes, that's correct. Make sure it's there. It's very easy for it to fall on the floor when you're not looking. This happened to me, and I accidentally pushed the pin through the back and destroyed the master link.

Yes. Make sure it's all the way to the stop. In one of your later posts, you attached a photo from webbikeworld where it is backed off an inch or two. I'm pretty sure this is wrong. I initially tried to do it this way, and I was having a heck of a time trying to flare the rivet because all of my energy was going into bending the rivet pin.

Yup.

4) While holding 'C', I keep tightening 'B', until the pin head is flared to the correct measurement, is this correct? Or am I supposed to hold 'A' while tightening 'B'?

I'm pretty sure I held 'A' while tightening 'B'.

PS: is it better to position it on the rear sprocket like this pic or it doesn't matter?

I personally found it much easier to do when it was on the rear sprocket.

Thank you very much for any help!

Hopefully my own dumb mistakes will save you some grief. Have a great weekend!

Kevin

Thanks for the reply.

It's a counterintuitive pain in the ass the first time you use it, isn't it? Hopefully my recent experience will be somewhat helpful:

Yes, that's correct. Make sure it's there. It's very easy for it to fall on the floor when you're not looking. This happened to me, and I accidentally pushed the pin through the back and destroyed the master link.

Yes. Make sure it's all the way to the stop. In one of your later posts, you attached a photo from webbikeworld where it is backed off an inch or two. I'm pretty sure this is wrong. I initially tried to do it this way, and I was having a heck of a time trying to flare the rivet because all of my energy was going into bending the rivet pin.

Yup.

I'm pretty sure I held 'A' while tightening 'B'.

Kevin

I accidently pushed out the pin by holding 'A' while tightening 'B' and screwed up my 1st link.

It looked like while holding 'A' and tightening 'B', 'A' was retracted back into the C-clamp

and therefore push out the anvil leaving a gap in the back that I didn't know. I kept

turning in 'B' and found the pin backed out in the back!

-mike-